Choklat (Imperial Chocolate Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
I stumbled across this beer when visiting my favorite bottle shop, doing some shopping for a Secret Santa gift exchange. I've always enjoyed everything that Southern Tier has brewed so far, and this beer is certainly no exception. My brew buddy and I tasted this one together during our brewday, and we both thoroughly enjoyed this stout.

11% ABV
2-row barley, caramel 60, flaked barley, bittersweet Belgian chocolate, Chinook and Williamette hops.

This is an absolutely FANTASTIC beer. Far and away the best chocolate stout that I've had. SWMBO is a HUGE fan of it, so I would like to try and brew it. Unfortunately my skills are not quite up to the cloning beers status as of yet so I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in trying it. I feel as though anyone who has had this will want more but the price tag (roughly 100 bukaloos a case) is quite steep. I really don't know where I'm supposed to put such requests so I'm putting it here. Cheers

Had this beer, and it's insane. Choklat and Great Divide's chocolate oak aged yeti are the most chocolaty beers i've had. I'm not that big into the oak, even though it's subtle, in the yeti, so this one takes it for me as a chocolate stout. Unbelievable flavor that I tried to brew, and it didn't work out well. 8 oz hershey's cocoa powder in the boil, and another 8 oz in secondary.AND 4 oz chocolate extract at bottling. Drinking it now and it doesn't taste like chocolate at all. I don't know what those breweries put in their beers to give it that chocolate flavor, but I wish I did. Either way, great beer

Sorry to dig up an old post but....
I've got the label off the actual box of beer and i'm going to try and make a recipe from it with the book "designing great beers" and the phenomena mathematical values.. here's the details. I'm going to make an attempt but hopefully some others will chime in with their knowledge....

ALC: 11% by vol
27° plato
195° L
2 Row barley
Caramel 60 Malt
Barley Flakes
Chocolate Malt
Bittersweet Belgian Chocolate

Kettle Hops:
Chinook & Willamette

I'm going to try and make this in the guidelines but ill need some input as to how the flavor of the beer was. Ill look on Beer Advocate for some feedback. I'm going to shoot for the IBU value of 80 due to the actual "chocolate" in the beer.. Lets get this rolling!!

Back