Carbing Kegs and Head Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have always Carbed Full kegs, until recently. Ya see, I have a keg that is about 90% Full. I just started carbing it 2 nights ago. I would think that a keg with less beer in it would carb up faster then afull keg. Given the less volume of Beer and the more volume of CO in the keg. My usual Carbing routing is 48 hourss at 30 PSI, then 24 hours at 15 PSI, and done. With this one, I'll be going 36 hours 30 PSI, then 24 hours at 15PSI.

Anyone have any insight as to whether or not less then full kegs carb quicker then full kegs?

+1 on working faster, and you're logic. Are you keeping this cold while carbing?

If there is an "absorption rate", then no. 5 gallons would take the same time as 10 gallons. I don't think it'll affect the time, as I think the beer can only absorb CO2 so fast, which is why you increase the pressure to carb faster.

Back