efficiency and grain bill, should I cut back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seawolf

Reaction score
I've been hitting between 80-84% efficiency, and overshooting the crap out of my OG. Most recipes are aimed at 70% efficiency, and my ABV has of course been way higher than expected due to better sugar conversion in the mash. Should I cut back my grain bill? modify my crush? I feel pretty dumb for asking, because it seems pretty logical to just cut back the grain bill, but everyone gets so excited about high efficiency, so I'm not sure if I should just leave it alone, or what?!

It's early and I'm still working on my first cup of coffee, thus the rambling.

Thanks,
Zach

The excitement of high efficiency is precisely because you can cut back on your grain bill and still acheive the desired OG. I just enter any recipe into beer tools pro with the efficiency set at the author's assumption, then I scale the ingredients based on my known efficiency.

Well, if you're following someone else's recipe (like in BYO- I think they are set up for 70% efficiency), and you want to hit the OG and the IBUs they have, then yes, just adjust the grain bill. I do that with others' recipes, but my efficiency is bad, so I have to adjust my grains UP!

Back