Any brewers in the Conway Area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will want some Pilsner if your going to be doing a lot of German Lagers or Belgians. Those Goldings will work in a big variety of beers, especially English style ales. I still have 20-30 lbs of Pilsner left, so I'm good on that I just don't have the wheat to go with it to do the Belgians that I wanna do. I'm going to bottle that batch of Sasion soon, and I am going to harvest the yeast so if you want some let me know.

Yes, let me know the details when you get them.

I want you to show me how you harvest the yeast. :) Is there any particular hops that will compliment the US Goldings best?

I haven't been doing it that much. I have only done about 8 batches. I quit brewing a couple years ago and sold all of my equipment and now decided to brew a little bit again. I have only done extract kits but would like to try out all grain (not sure if I want to invest in all the equipment though) I started out with the Mr Beer and actually have a two gallon batch going in it right now, but I also bought a 6g fermenter and have an American ale in it right now. As far as what types of beer I like. I would have to say my favorite beer is Amber Bock, but I like Sam Adams also About what area of Oppelo do you live my Inlaws live close to the Perry county line. over by the chip mill.

I want you to show me how you harvest the yeast. :) Is there any particular hops that will compliment the US Goldings best?

Fuggles and Cascade come to mind for me. I try to keep a variety of hops around, basically a hop for every occasion. I usually keep at least 1 noble hop variety for German Lagers and American Lite Lagers, then I usually have Fuggles or Goldings to cover my English/Irish/Scottish styles, Cascade for a "general purpose hop", a high alpha such as Warrior or Simcoe for bittering big beers and IPAs, and then some of my favorite finishing hops like Nelson or Amarillo. I've also learned there's nothing wrong with bending the rules when it comes to hops, no law that says you have to use Goldings in an English style beer, put them in an IPA if you want or dry hop a blonde ale!

If you want I can wait to bottle the Saison so that you can see how I harvest the yeast. I'm not really in a hurry for it.

I haven't been doing it that much. I have only done about 8 batches. I quit brewing a couple years ago and sold all of my equipment and now decided to brew a little bit again. I have only done extract kits but would like to try out all grain (not sure if I want to invest in all the equipment though) I started out with the Mr Beer and actually have a two gallon batch going in it right now, but I also bought a 6g fermenter and have an American ale in it right now. As far as what types of beer I like. I would have to say my favorite beer is Amber Bock, but I like Sam Adams also About what area of Oppelo do you live my Inlaws live close to the Perry county line. over by the chip mill.

I promise all grain isn't scary, and you can get by with some really simple equipment, Bob will tell you I don't have anything fancy that's for sure!! I've made beer with a Mr. Beer kit before, they are pretty darn good these days from what I hear too. I drink Amber Bock myself, just a great easy to find beer, and they had it on tap back when I worked at Yesterday's in college! I live down 154 not too far from the gas station. Hope to hear from you guys soon.

"If you want I can wait to bottle the Saison so that you can see how I harvest the yeast. I'm not really in a hurry for it. "

-just let me know when you plan to harvest the yeast...I can come most any time...

Do you guys ever use Movie House Winery?

Eric does. I have never been in there. My son got me started and he lives in Fort Smith, so I'm a member of their club and buy there if not online. I'm aerating a 5.5g batch of malt liquor right now...will put it to bed in about an hour. :) I think Eric is brewing next Saturday...?
Bob

I used to go to to movie house to get extract kits but the owner wouldnt ever order anything new. I guess its a good place to get certain equipment in a bind. Theres a new store in little rock at markham and rodney parham that i have been going to. I havent done any brewing in a little while i have a 5 gal of american ale in fermenter and just bottled a stout. Bob are you doing all grain.

I used to go to to movie house to get extract kits but the owner wouldnt ever order anything new. I guess its a good place to get certain equipment in a bind. Theres a new store in little rock at markham and rodney parham that i have been going to. I havent done any brewing in a little while i have a 5 gal of american ale in fermenter and just bottled a stout. Bob are you doing all grain.

sounds like me... I know there are 2 places in LR but I haven't been to either. I think Eric bought grain at Fermentables last year. I do all grain but got a few kits for Christmas from my sons and they are extract/partial mash, except for one all grain of my Buried Hatchet stout. I go see my granddaughter once a month and pick stuff up at the brew shop there...
http://www.growfreshorganics.com/ (members get a 10% discount)
I just put my "moonshine malt liquor" in the fermentation freezer so I'm good to go... seemed to go very well and easy.

I have never done an all grain. I have been watching some videos and doesn't look that hard to do. I just don't know what grains and hops go together to have a good beer come out.

I used to go to Fermentables also to buy some extract kits, good place to go. My wife always liked to stop by the wonder bread store when we went down there but now there closed so she doesn't care about going anymore. I stopped brewing a couple years ago and sold everything I had (wish I had it back now) so I am kind of getting back into it.

I have never done an all grain. I have been watching some videos and doesn't look that hard to do. I just don't know what grains and hops go together to have a good beer come out.

Go to Eric's and watch him do it...it's pretty easy. I'm sticking to mostly simple beers with mostly 2 row and I'm using US Goldings hops because I bought several pounds...

Ya I didn't even know the place in town had any beer stuff at all; I have bought wine yeast and chemicals such as campden tablets in there before though, the woman is always really friendly and helpful to any noobs it seems.

Probably this coming Saturday I'm going to brew, or bottle something or both, can't really decide what I want to do yet, this is all pending that my brewing equipment didn't float away last night!

I didn't know about the place on Rodney P. but will check it out because the mother-in-law lives over that way anyway.

Its called The Water Buffalo they are fairly new. You can look at there site online. I have only been there a couple of times since I found out about them, for some reason to me it just seems easier to get to there location. Movie House used to carry some stuff for beer and they could order kits but the owner said he was not going to carry any grains or hops cause he didn't think there was enough business for it.

Its called The Water Buffalo they are fairly new. You can look at there site online. I have only been there a couple of times since I found out about them, for some reason to me it just seems easier to get to there location. Movie House used to carry some stuff for beer and they could order kits but the owner said he was not going to carry any grains or hops cause he didn't think there was enough business for it.

Wonder if they stock any dry beer yeast like Safale US-04 or 05?

I still got one pack actually but i was just curious because sometimes I get a wild hair to brew and have no yeast.

Wonder if they stock any dry beer yeast like Safale US-04 or 05?

I've been to the Water Buffalo once. I typically go to Fernentables because it's closer to me. I like how the Water Buffalo has all their grains set up. I liked that they had the Wyeast smack packs as well. They definitely have 04 and 05.

i've been to the water buffalo once. I typically go to fernentables because it's closer to me. I like how the water buffalo has all their grains set up. I liked that they had the wyeast smack packs as well. They definitely have 04 and 05.

They have a cooler full of yeast and other stuff. I like the grains area also although I haven't used any yet.

I have a few extra cases of used bottles if anyone is interested. Let me know pick up in Conway. Mostly Sam Adams, rinsed but some still have labels on them. Just have more than enough!

That's a very nice offer... love Sam Adam's bottles...the glue is easy to soak off... LOL. I get a few bottles every couple of weeks from my friend in Conway. If nobody else needs them and you still have them next time I make a bottle run, I wouldn't mind cleaning a few. :) More bottles = more beer to make and fill them... LOL.

cool... if you went to school in Conway you probably know my friend...he just retired after 28 years at the high school...

Sorry been around for over 20 years but didn't go to school in Conway. I have a business in town.

cool...Conway has grown so fast it's almost scary... I prefer my quiet country life... LOL. If you have a business in Conway I'm sure my friend would know you...he is a social butterfly.

Understood... Been living the quiet country life for the last three years! Lol. Kept the business in town though.

Just wanted to post for anyone who is interested; Bob and I had a pretty good bottling/yeast harvesting day on Saturday. We bottled the same batch of Sasion that we brewed, and kegged about half of it. The beer seems to me, the way a good Saison should be, a bit peppery/spicy and a tad bit of funk.

Still interested in doing a really large brew day. I am going to work on converting my ice chest into a mash tun in the coming days so that I can do much larger batches. Would be really interested in pooling some ingredients to do a nice proven recipe.

Bob, I think we should definitely save these other guys a few bottles of home brew!

It was fun...and yes, the new Saison was definitely tasty! I'm sure we can come up with a home-brew or 2 for sharing... I think that Stout I brought will be very good with the Saison yeast...
Bob

My name is Nolen and I own The Water Buffalo, a beer and wine supply shop in Little Rock. I just had a conversation with a fellow beer maker and he told me you guys had mentioned my store. Thanks for the interest.

The Water Buffalo carries dozens of grains, DME, LME, hops, Wyeast, dry yeasts, kits, recipe books, culturing hardware, grain mills, kegs, hoses, fittings, and much much more. We also have classes for Intro to Beer and Intro to Wine making. We also have cheese making equipment, and intro to cheese making class taught by Kent Walker, professional artisan cheese maker.

I addition to all that, we also have a complete selection of indoor, hydroponic, aquaponic, and organic gardening supplies in stock. We carry everything you need to move your garden inside, and grow more food for yourself and others.

Stop by and see for yourself. We are just South of the intersection of Rodney Parham and Markham at 106 S Rodney Parham. Red Lobster is just to the North of us, on the same side of the road.

My name is Nolen and I own The Water Buffalo, a beer and wine supply shop in Little Rock. I just had a conversation with a fellow beer maker and he told me you guys had mentioned my store. Thanks for the interest.

The Water Buffalo carries dozens of grains, DME, LME, hops, Wyeast, dry yeasts, kits, recipe books, culturing hardware, grain mills, kegs, hoses, fittings, and much much more. We also have classes for Intro to Beer and Intro to Wine making. We also have cheese making equipment, and intro to cheese making class taught by Kent Walker, professional artisan cheese maker.

I addition to all that, we also have a complete selection of indoor, hydroponic, aquaponic, and organic gardening supplies in stock. We carry everything you need to move your garden inside, and grow more food for yourself and others.

Stop by and see for yourself. We are just South of the intersection of Rodney Parham and Markham at 106 S Rodney Parham. Red Lobster is just to the North of us, on the same side of the road.

Will definitely be stopping by next time I'm in Little Rock.

Nolan I have been in a few times and I have to say you guys have helped me out a lot. The only thing that could make your store better if it was on Cantrell west of I-430 so I could stop by while I was at work.

Just wanted to post for anyone who is interested; Bob and I had a pretty good bottling/yeast harvesting day on Saturday. We bottled the same batch of Sasion that we brewed, and kegged about half of it. The beer seems to me, the way a good Saison should be, a bit peppery/spicy and a tad bit of funk.

Still interested in doing a really large brew day. I am going to work on converting my ice chest into a mash tun in the coming days so that I can do much larger batches. Would be really interested in pooling some ingredients to do a nice proven recipe.

Bob, I think we should definitely save these other guys a few bottles of home brew!

If you are saving a few, I'd love to try one. Saison is by far my favorite. I'm always down to try a new one.

If you are saving a few, I'd love to try one. Saison is by far my favorite. I'm always down to try a new one.

You are certainly welcome to it whenever you want to pick it up.

I converted my old work ice chest into a mash tun last night, it holds 17.5 gallons so looks like bigger batches are in my near future. :) I also filled the propane tank, now all I need to do is find time to make a yeast starter! Think I'm going to brew an ale version of a German Pils or an Oktoberfest, can't decide.

Back