Critique this.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you reckon?
Sounds easy and I can chuck all my gear.

http://www.harvington.org.uk/hic/strongale.html

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This strong ale is made in the same way as the Light Ale but the fermentation and conditioning will take longer.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3 oz hops[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 lb brown malt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 oz crushed barley[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 lb brown sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5 gallons water[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lager Beer yeast[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Method:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Boil the hops, malt and barley for 30 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Strain on to sugar and allow to cool to lukewarm and add a Lager Beer Yeast brew.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cover and allow to ferment for about 4 days. Bottle without disturbing the sediment.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This beer can be drunk after 4 -6 weeks but improves with keeping.[/FONT]

Ew. That sounds positively disgusting. This is a brew club? The light ale isn't any better.

You gotta join and enlighten these people, Orphy! Do the right thing!

You can substitute 4 lbs of white sugar and a cup of treacle for the brown sugar without improving the flavor at all.

there are some really unique wine recipes in that site. why so quick to bash someone elses brewing style? because it's less "sophisticated" than your's? humility and an open mind make good beer, not snobbery.

beenjammin said:
there are some really unique wine recipes in that site. why so quick to bash someone elses brewing style? because it's less "sophisticated" than your's? humility and an open mind make good beer, not snobbery.

No, because it's absolutely terrible. And that recipe wouldn't make good beer with all the humility and open mindedness in the world. Who cares about sophisticated, they are telling you how to make hooch. They don't tell you want kind of hops, malt (except a little brown malt) or yeast to use, so they don't really care about the end product. They also tell you to boil the malt.

beenjammin said:

Are you serious?
Do you really want answers to that question?

If you think it is okay to brew that way then I suggest you read this before commenting

orfy said:
Are you serious?
Do you really want answers to that question?

If you think it is okay to brew that way then I suggest you read this before commenting

Get Him ORFY!:D

Yuri_Rage said:
Why use expensive lager yeast when you could just use some bread yeast?

Or you could rub your armpit over it and it could be "all natural yeast."

beenjammin said:
humility and an open mind make good beer, not snobbery.
Good ingredients and solid procedures make good beer.

BOILING grain with 4 lbs of brown sugar and some generic hops, then fermenting it with a lager yeast at "lukewarm" temperatures makes swill...PERIOD.

.............Lager in your toilet bowl for few weeks to bring out the subtle hints of the brown malt, no reason to bottle condition, just place drinking straw in bowl and enjoy!!! mmmmmm...I an going to brew this right now. - Dirk

Back