Ran out of Co2 with beer left?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently ran out of gas on a 1/2 keg with beer left in about half of it. What should I do to keep the beer from going bad? Can I leave it tapped and chilled in the kegerator? or should I un-tap it and leave it in the kegerator? Will the beer go flat or bad, and for how long?

As long as your plumbing is sound, just leave it until you get your cylinder filled. The beer will be fine - it's just a big chilled bottle...

Cheers!

OK, don't panic.
Grab a tent and head down to the LHBS now.
Hopefully an employee will show up early.
No wait, what about beer for tonite?
OMG, OMG! Call 911, maybe a first responder brews.
Hang in there Buddy, it's going to be Ok. I don't think he's gonna make it Everything's going to be alright Pal. someone get some help

I'm ordering a second tank now.

i have 2 tanks. (both aluminum) i got the second with gauge/fittings/etc and a nice polished ss corny for $100 from a friend who quit before gettin in too deep.
i keep one in the kegerator to push beer and have one outside to force carb. i rotate and fill em as needed. do that.
otherwise, yeah i assume theyd be fine for like a week or two

Untap it, in case there is a leak (especially relevant if you were surprised how fast the tank went), just good practice regardless and leave it chilled in your kegerator. You could leave it disconnected and chilled for a VERY long time. But your beer will get lonely in there!

so my beer will not go bad even though it has been tapped and the fact we drank half of it already?

nope - unless you popped the top of the keg and took a look. Get a refill and you are good to go!

BTW - 5lb tank should get you 6 to 8 kegs. If not you got a leak.

Back