Made in USA Brew Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you ever ask your husband the name of the brand of pots made in Pittsburgh?

Thanks for reminding me! Here's the linky: http://www.usapans.com/
I know they make small stock pots (8qts etc) which would work with wine but I haven't seen one with a tap. But I can tell you their stuff is top notch (I have 3 cookie sheets by them).

Spike Brewing makes brewing gear and say it's made in the USA.

I believe spike and a bunch of others such as Brewers hardware, bru gear, stout, etc orders their kettles overseas and welds the fittings here so they're not 100% made in the usa if that really matters to you.

I believe spike and a bunch of others such as Brewers hardware, bru gear, stout, etc orders their kettles overseas and welds the fittings here so they're not 100% made in the usa if that really matters to you.

When I mentioned my Stout gear was cheaper and also built well, I was most definitely informed by many that I was unpatriotic for buying Chinese equipment and should only buy American. Typical keyboard commandos that you see on Facebook. So I dunno, but my Stout equipment is great. Can't beat the tri clamp setup and the welds are sanitary.

Yep, those are the same ones that I had.

http://www.beermakerssupply.com/Polar-Ware/

They're claimed 100% made in the USA. I believe they were on clearance awhile back for dirt cheap. Unfortunately, I don't think these are being made anymore although I think polarware is making kettles under a different name. Not sure if those are USA made though.

Those are the USA-made ones that now bear the Vollrath name, but I think they are still different from the pot @solbes bought because @solbes said, "The bottom is tri clad SS-Al-SS at 5 mm thick and the sidewalls are 1.2 mm stainless." The bottom of those USA-made Polarware/Vollrath pots is not tri-clad.

Yes, that is correct. Spike Brewing chimed in on this and described their process. See post #4 in this thread for Spike Brewing's response.

Yes, that is correct. Spike Brewing chimed in on this and described their process. See post #4 in this thread for Spike Brewing's response.

Yet another reason I love Spike. In addition to the spectacular quality of their products, Ben is more than upfront with his equipment and knowledge of where others source from. To you sir, I raise a glass!

...I was most definitely informed by many that I was unpatriotic for buying Chinese equipment and should only buy American. Typical keyboard commandos that you see on Facebook....

When someone questions my patriotism, my response is, "what branch of the military did you serve in?"

They usually shut up and quietly slither away.

When someone questions my patriotism, my response is, "what branch of the military did you serve in?"

That does work. I didn't serve myself (wanted to), buuuuuut, I have plenty of American made rifles.

My response is, "I thought we were talking about brew kettles."

Waking this one up from the dead. In the market for some kettles and a new conical and China is not going to be an option anymore for me. Has anyone retooled for the post china world?

Blichmann has their conicals made by toledo metal spinning in the US.. The truth is they cost a couple hundred more and even with that they had to take shortcuts and use economical weldless fittings and non sanitay treaded valves vs welded sanitary Tri clamp ports to help keep costs in the same ballpark as the others on the market. to thats it for stainless conicals as far as I know.

Has anyone retooled for the post china world?
China will bounce back. I work in product development and manufacturing with factories here in the states as well as in China and elsewhere. The production lines may be shut down but trust me, they're still busy developing new products.

One real challenge Chinese manufacturers are facing is an already large and growing young workforce that increasingly refuse to work in dirty factories, and they are educated enough now to have plenty of other options. In the short term that means more automation but eventually it will lead to outsourcing.

I've visited factories year after year and saw with my own eyes brand new european- or japanese-made robotic equipment bolted to the floor literally in the spot where a worker once stood. In metal fabrication shops the first jobs to go were the hot, dusty polishing stations.

But hey, if our economy tanks and we raise a generation of post-science morons, we can be ready to take those crappy low-paying jobs back.

China will bounce back. I work in product development and manufacturing with factories here in the states as well as in China and elsewhere. The production lines may be shut down but trust me, they're still busy developing new products.

One real challenge Chinese manufacturers are facing is an already large and growing young workforce that increasingly refuse to work in dirty factories, and they are educated enough now to have plenty of other options. In the short term that means more automation but eventually it will lead to outsourcing.

I've visited factories year after year and saw with my own eyes brand new european- or japanese-made robotic equipment bolted to the floor literally in the spot where a worker once stood. In metal fabrication shops the first jobs to go were the hot, dusty polishing stations.

But hey, if our economy tanks and we raise a generation of post-science morons, we can be ready to take those crappy low-paying jobs back.
But as of now these jobs are not low paying in the states... In fact they must pay pretty well based upon the the $700 or so they want for a domestic simple non polished conical tank with legs bolted on and holes drilled in it for the consumer to assemble it themselves with weldless fittings after purchasing. and thats with no temp control solution options that I know of vs most of the other options out there. Now id be all for a competitive US made product but when it comes to homebrewing conicals blichmann seems very behind compared to other options. Which wouldnt be so bad if they werent asking more $$ than anyone else on top of it. maybe that has something to do with why Spike stopped using the same manufacturer as blichmann for their conicals and took it overseas.

Last edited:
If you want a good product at an affordable price, China is the only option, period.

If you want made in USA it must either be super expensive or cheaply made. It drives me nuts when people talk about inferior Chinese products. Factories anywhere in the world build to a specification; the specification is price-driven and ultimately determines the quality of the final product, regardless of where it is made.

For me its more political. About to spend the next 2-3 weeks at home due to wife testing positive. I'm done sending my money to China for this. So it looks like I will need to look at smaller batch pro gear stuff.

Best wishes for you wife. Agree that America need to reposition critical manufacturing operations to produce strategic goods here at home. And that starts, of course, with beer!

China may get paid a cut of your hard earned dollars, but unless you're buying direct from Alibaba, you're usually also supporting American companies like the online HBS retailers, Amazon, or specialty brands like Anvil (part of Blichmann). Unless the global supply chain drastically changes, we're in this together.

This being said, given a viable and competitive American option, I'll choose it.

I'm no fan of China from a political perspective, but they did not manufacture the virus or unleash it purposefully on the world. They did initially act irresponsibly and were in denial, causing a delay in aggressively responding and effectively communicating... but look within our own borders and you'll see the same phenomenon.

I am very sorry to hear of your situation and sincerely wish your family well. It's a genuinely scary time for all of us (even those still in denial!).

For me its more political. About to spend the next 2-3 weeks at home due to wife testing positive. I'm done sending my money to China for this. So it looks like I will need to look at smaller batch pro gear stuff.

We have commercial 1bbl bottom drain tanks that are US made! Shoot our customer support team a note to get a quote.

http://help.spikebrewing.com/support/tickets/new

Literally had the same conversation with Spike this week. There just isnt anything on the homebrew market as good as the options they and SS Brewtech put out. For pro side 1bbl and bigger you can get American steel no problem. Long term I have a hunch we will see further de-globalization. Hopefully that provides us with better options. I ended up ordering a new 15gal from them. I would gladly pay a few hundred more for something as good made here.

Back