Which wall receptacle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broham1

Reaction score
I'm getting 30A 240V added to my garage this month. Which NEMA wall receptacle should I get installed? I plan to feed my controller via the HD spa panel.

Probably an L14-30r. I'd just go with a 14-50r to a spa panel to have proper breakers for all 240v and 120v circuits (just backfeed the 50A GFI breaker.) The only disadvantage is you will need to run 8 or 6 AWG to the outlet and panel instead of 10. If you don't need 120 use L6-30.

Malticulous said:
Probably an L14-30r. I'd just go with a 14-50r to a spa panel to have proper breakers for all 240v and 120v circuits (just backfeed the 50A GFI breaker.) The only disadvantage is you will need to run 8 or 6 AWG to the outlet and panel instead of 10. If you don't need 120 use L6-30.

So, if I want my pump switch to be on the controller, I need to run 50A to the outlet? I was planning to have one 5500W element and pump run by a controller fed by a 30A breaker in the main panel through the 50A spa panel.

Malticulous said:
Well, a 30a should work, but a 50a will allow some leeway for any future changes. The connecters are cheaper too.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Back