Considering Safale US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApothecaryBrewing

Reaction score
So for my entire homebrewing career (9-10 batches) I have always stuck with liquid yeast. I typically use WLP001 California Ale as I tend to hover around the paler, drier ales.

Recently I have been considering trying out dry yeast and was wondering what other brewers experiences with US-05 have been. What sort of flavor, if any, does it impart on the beer? I have read it is a rather transparent yeast and works well at accentuating the malt and hops but at higher temps it can produce some fruity flavors? Has anyone experienced this?

I enjoy hops and a lot of them. IPA and DIPA are my go to styles. Does this yeast compliment that or will it sit in the background and let those hops shine.

How is the attenuation and flocculation on this strain? Can I expect a clean, clear beer at the end or am I looking at a cloudy haze of a hung up fermentation?

Liquid yeast is just plain expensive and it seems dry yeast is more reliable and cheaper. So home brewers of this great portal of knowledge, unleash your praise and criticisms of US-05.

I have used it almost exclusively in the 10 batches that I have brewed. Most of my brews have also been pale ales or IPAs. I find it to be quite neutral. even tasting the stuff in the bottom of the bottle, there are no unexpected or unwanted flavors. I have fermented all of my batches between 67 and 69 Deg F.

I was a solid Wyeast guy for a long time, but then I started using dry yeast to save time. I came to realize that the taste difference is very subtle in most beers and sometimes there's none at all.

I was never too picky about yeasts anyway, regularly using only 2-3 different ale yeasts and 2 lager strains. The switch was more a result of having kids and no longer having the time to deal with starters on my limited brew days.

I started with Nottingham but didn't really like its flavor profile. I pretty much rely on US-05 now and the other SafAle yeasts depending on what I am brewing. For my current situation, no starters, nearly unlimited storage time and quick fermentations are more important than the subtle taste differences that liquid yeast can sometimes provide. I'm not looking for 40+pts in competitions so I don't need that "ever so slight English esters on the back of the tongue"-thing. ;)

I usually use liquid yeasts because I can get more variety than I can with dry, but in the case of US-05, WLP001, or WY1056 I honestly cannot tell the difference, so if that's the yeast I want for a brew, I go for the US-05.

-a.

I only use liquid or smack packs if it's a strain I can't get dry. Dry is easy, fast fermenting and cheap. And as for s-05, it's pretty much the same as 001 and 1056. I've brewed 1056 and s-05 next to each other and can't really tell a difference that I could say came down to the yeast over any other variable. And NO STARTER is needed for dry. Just aerate your wort, sprinkle it on and you're off to the races.

As far as your questions about taste, as with any yeast the warmer you go, the more esters you'll get, but s-05 (like 1056) is very neutral and great for IPA's, and is forgiving at room temps. I've fermented at 75 (and then the yeast got going they rose the temp to 78) and it still came out clean. If you want the hops to shine, this yeast is a top pick for an American IPA, especially if you can control temps at about 68-69 degrees F.

It also attenuates well, usually averages to 80% for me. Use the MrMalty Calculator to see how many pouches you need, but if it's under 1.060 for a 5(5.25) gallon batch one pouch is all you need.

The yeast does not like to flocculate though (which is why they attenuate so well), so you will need to cold crash for a few days to get them to sleep and drop out. For lighter beers I want super bright, I also use Gelatin during the cold crash and it comes out SUPER clear.

I usually use liquid yeasts because I can get more variety than I can with dry, but in the case of US-05, WLP001, or WY1056 I honestly cannot tell the difference, so if that's the yeast I want for a brew, I go for the US-05.

-a.

I thought the consensus was there isn't any difference between US-05, WLP001, and WY1056....its all chico.

I've had nothing but predictible fermentations and clean tasting beers using US-05 dry or washed for up to 4 generations.

For me I see no need to spend $7 for liquid yeast when I can pay $3 for US-05 and wash and reuse it for 4 batches.

I thought the consensus was there isn't any difference between US-05, WLP001, and WY1056....its all chico.

I agree, but some people say they can taste a difference, and there are other yeasts that are supposedly the same strain, but which I find very different such as WLP013 vs WY1028, or WLP023 vs WY1275

-a.

The only problem I've had with US-05 was in conjuction with >1lb sucrose and warmer-than-ideal fermentation. Don't mix those three things.

I've heard that. But in my experience, WLP001 is my preference over the other two. I get better results at lower temperatures (my house is COLD), as I get "peachy" esters with s05 at under 64 degrees. Right now, I have 10 gallons of IPA fermented at 63 degrees with WLP001, and I know it will be great.

I also noticed that S05 never seems to want to clear for me, while the WLP001 drops out quickly in the cold.

Flavorwise, it seems that WLP001 "enhances" the hops better in a side to side comparison with the same wort but one pitched with S05 and one with WLP001.

I've used Wyeast 1056, but I don't recall if I noticed these things the last time I used it. It may be closer to S05 than I think WLP001 is.

I use it as my go to now. I used to love notty but 05 is just as quick and far more neutral. I agree that its a little hazy sometimes but I usually cold crash.

The only problem I've had with US-05 was in conjuction with >1lb sucrose and warmer-than-ideal fermentation. Don't mix those three things.

What was the issue?

Just curious as in the future I may do an IIPA that would call for a large addition of sugar and may ferment around 72-75F

I get better results at lower temperatures (my house is COLD), as I get "peachy" esters with s05 at under 64 degrees.

I think that subtle stone fruit character has been documented by a lot of people who use s05. I have experienced it in a few beers. However, it can complement certain hop combinations.

In general, I find the dry option to be fairly clean and don't hesitate to use it for a large majority of my beers. At the temps I generally ferment at, mid to upper 60's, the peach character is not noticeable to me and has never been commented on by anyone tasting the beers, including several of my club members, who are experienced BJCP judges.

I use US-05 a lot. In regards to clarity I have no problems. I don't have a specific cold crash. I keg so the beer sits in the keg cold for all its life after fermentation. I also slow carb for 3-4 weeks before drinking. After that much time in the keg the beer is crystal clear. In fact I have had comments on clarity from contest judges.

If it matters for clarity I brew lots of beers in the 1040-1050 OG range. They are usually 6-8 SRM.

I've never detected peachy/stone fruit esters with S05. I'll have to look for that next time. My next beer is probably going to be a FWH'ed IPA for my wife, so maybe I'll pick it up there.

I've never detected peachy/stone fruit esters with S05. I'll have to look for that next time. My next beer is probably going to be a FWH'ed IPA for my wife, so maybe I'll pick it up there.

I haven't it noticed it at all when fermented above 64 degrees, and it's "clean" for me up until about 73 degrees. So if I had a room at 68 degrees, I'd probably grab the S05 preferentially. But at cool temperatures (under 64, most often closer to 62), I've picked it up in every single one of my beers, even the amarillo/simcoe hopped (that I thought would cover any esters).

For those 60-64 temperatures, I actually prefer S04. S04 is extremely clean at under 65 degrees, but over 64, gets estery (in a bad way) quickly so I don't like it for most English beers that get estery in a good way.

If you pitch it at the proper temp it will be identical to 001. The only time I have ever had any noticeable off flavors (clove) was when I pitched it way too warm--90+ (I was rushing it).

Other than that S-05 has been amazing! I always keep a few packs on hand just in case!

S-05 is my go to yeat, unless im making a belgian or wheat beer, something that relys on a specific yeat, otheriwse 05 is perfect, cheaper than liquid yeast too.

What was the issue?

Just curious as in the future I may do an IIPA that would call for a large addition of sugar and may ferment around 72-75F

I got lots of acetaldehyde. This was a cream ale. For US-05, you should ferment in the mid-60s. If you have to ferment that warm, consider using a different adjunct, such as rice syrup solids or honey.

I got lots of acetaldehyde. This was a cream ale. For US-05, you should ferment in the mid-60s. If you have to ferment that warm, consider using a different adjunct, such as rice syrup solids or honey.

Crazy, I've never dumped sugar on S-05 before... guess it gets a little hot for it, huh.

I just bottled up a pale ale using S-05 , started at 1.055 and ended up at 1.006 , I taste hops and malt , no real yeast flavor to the beer , I brewed up an IPA using this yesterday so I hope it tuns out as well as my pale ale

IMO WLP001, Wy1056 and USO5 are similarenough that the only way most, not all, people would notice much difference would be if you split a batch and fermented at the same temperatures then tasted them side by side.

I have come to keep a few packets on hand at all time so that I can quickly whip up an APA or IPA recipe and brew when I don't have time to make a starter with liquid yeast.

I like what I am hearing about US-05, it may become my go to yeast. Cheaper than WLP001 and with an AA of 75-85%, that sounds like just what I need in my pale ales.

I´ve used many times and it´s my back up yeast. It´s pretty clean good attenautor. Flocculation is not very good. Good yeast overall.

So for my entire homebrewing career (9-10 batches) I have always stuck with liquid yeast. I typically use WLP001 California Ale as I tend to hover around the paler, drier ales.

Recently I have been considering trying out dry yeast and was wondering what other brewers experiences with US-05 have been. What sort of flavor, if any, does it impart on the beer? I have read it is a rather transparent yeast and works well at accentuating the malt and hops but at higher temps it can produce some fruity flavors? Has anyone experienced this?

I enjoy hops and a lot of them. IPA and DIPA are my go to styles. Does this yeast compliment that or will it sit in the background and let those hops shine.

How is the attenuation and flocculation on this strain? Can I expect a clean, clear beer at the end or am I looking at a cloudy haze of a hung up fermentation?

Liquid yeast is just plain expensive and it seems dry yeast is more reliable and cheaper. So home brewers of this great portal of knowledge, unleash your praise and criticisms of US-05.

Before I was able to ferment in a fridge with temp control, US-05 wouldn't settle out for a long time (4 weeks and even longer and it was still a bit cloudy) so I avoided it in favor of WLP001. But now that I can cold crash, it clears out just fine - I prefer it now over WLP001 simply because it's cheaper and I don't have to make a starter. Ferment between 65-68 and it comes out very clean and neutral every time. It's a great yeast.

I like what I am hearing about US-05, it may become my go to yeast. Cheaper than WLP001 and with an AA of 75-85%, that sounds like just what I need in my pale ales.

If the only yeasts you have are US-05 and Nottingham you can brew almost any style you want with those 2 choices. I always have washed Notty or US-05 in my fridge ready to pitch to a starter. :mug:

I've never once been able to tell the difference between US-05 and WLP001. If I'm going to use liquid, I usually just go with WLP090 though. It tastes very similar to WLP001 to me but finishes fermenting slightly faster (which means I can go grain to glass in 2 weeks or so if I'm doing a light enough ale).

I don't like US-05 in lighter styles like blonde ales or american wheat because that peach ester just doesn't taste right to me. That being said I used it today in a IIPA. In most beers I can't tell the difference.

I just bottled two beers fermented with US-05. This was my first time using dry yeast. One was OG 1.080 (IIPA) and the other OG 1.062 (pale ale). Attenuation on both was about 88%! Obviously there are other factors involved but that is incredible. Both were fermented around 66F. They were certainly not crystal clear in my test tube, but considering I had just racked to the bottling bucket, I am not concerned. Based on what I have read here, I am anxious to sample the final products. I just have to be conscious of the extra alcohol produced as these guys chew through the sugars. Assuming that flavor is good, this is definitely the way to go for time and convenience, as well as a rock solid yeast that is limited to a very narrow temperature range.

Us-05 is a beast took my 1.061 to 1.014 in 5 days.

Im try notty for my first time later tonight instead of us-05, wanted to try it on my hop bursting ipa.

I've had the same beer with both wyeast 1056 and s05. I preferred the wyeast. Both tasted good, but the s05 had that slight stone fruit flavor. Maybe, like Yooper said, it had to do with fermenting in the low 60's.

I've heard that. But in my experience, WLP001 is my preference over the other two. I get better results at lower temperatures (my house is COLD), as I get "peachy" esters with s05 at under 64 degrees. Right now, I have 10 gallons of IPA fermented at 63 degrees with WLP001, and I know it will be great.

I also noticed that S05 never seems to want to clear for me, while the WLP001 drops out quickly in the cold.

Flavorwise, it seems that WLP001 "enhances" the hops better in a side to side comparison with the same wort but one pitched with S05 and one with WLP001.

I've used Wyeast 1056, but I don't recall if I noticed these things the last time I used it. It may be closer to S05 than I think WLP001 is.

Is this 64 degrees ambient temp?

I recently started my first brew ever. 5 one gallon batches of Blueberry Mead with Clove Honey and frozen blueberries.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I would suggest starting a new thread with your question...vs adding a question about "Blueberry Mead with Clove Honey and frozen blueberries" to a 10 year old thread about US-05.

Welcome to HBT! While I don't visit there much, there is a forum dedicated to Meads. Mead Forum

I would suggest starting a new thread with your question...vs adding a question about "Blueberry Mead with Clove Honey and frozen blueberries" to a 10 year old thread about US-05.

Welcome to HBT! While I don't visit there much, there is a forum dedicated to Meads. Mead Forum
Good point. 🙂
Thank you CascadesBrewer

Back