Ferm temps too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meat_Cat

Reaction score
So, I've scoured the threads, and I'm still left with a question. My active fermentation is fine. However, after that, my fermentation vessel and beer usually hover @ 60-62F -probably 58-60F at night. Do you think I'm getting enough residual fermentation going on, or is the remaining yeast just going dormant?

All yeast has a temp range which you can find on the package or online. As long as the fermenter is in that temp range everything is fine. And the lower in the range, in most cases, the better.

Thanks for the response. Anyhow, I know the best temp ranges for this yeast. I just was wondering about the drawbacks of it being under the low side. I don't have a lot of options for warming it up. :/

As it falls below the recommended temp the likelihood of it falling out and leaving an unfinished job increases.

That's where some sort of thermostatically controlled heat belt or other comes in handy. Keep it from dipping too low.

Thanks for the response. Anyhow, I know the best temp ranges for this yeast. I just was wondering about the drawbacks of it being under the low side. I don't have a lot of options for warming it up. :/

The drawback is that the yeast can go dormant, at some point below the bottom end of the temp range is the point the yeast will go to sleep until warmed back up.

There's always options to warm a fermenter up, they just haven't occurred to you yet. ;)

Wrapping a blanket or sleeping bag in is good for a few degrees.

Putting a carboard box over the fermenter.

Move it to a warmer section of the house.....like against a sun facing wall.

Do you have hot tap water? Do a reverse "swamp cooler," put your fermenter in a larger container and fill it with hot tap water instead of ice.

Wrap a blanker around it then wrap it in christmas lights for an extreme example.

Put it near the furnace/water heater.

Put it in the closet with a ceramic heater.

Put a heating pad under it (but be aware that some modern ones have a timed shut off. Go to a salvation army or junk store and try to find an older model without one.)

Told ya... ;)

(These are all options without using a temp controller and a heat belt.)

The drawback is that the yeast can go dormant, at some point below the bottom end of the temp range is the point the yeast will go to sleep until warmed back up.

There's always options to warm a fermenter up, they just haven't occurred to you yet. ;)

Wrapping a blanket or sleeping bag in is good for a few degrees.

Putting a carboard box over the fermenter.

Move it to a warmer section of the house.....like against a sun facing wall.

Do you have hot tap water? Do a reverse "swamp cooler," put your fermenter in a larger container and fill it with hot tap water instead of ice.

Wrap a blanker around it then wrap it in christmas lights for an extreme example.

Told ya... ;)

I may use a fermenting carboy as a Christmas tree this year. Thanks for the idea, Revvy. :mug:

I may use a fermenting carboy as a Christmas tree this year. Thanks for the idea, Revvy. :mug:

You need to make sure you wrap it in something to block out the light though. I'm not sure how having a light source that close would affect the beer. That's why I suggested wrapping it in a blanker (or sleeping bag even) first.

HA! Reminds me of the idea we had last year. Put green rolling rock bottles on my red bottle tree,then my son inserted some mini lights. Voila! Red neck Christmas tree centerpiece! And I saw the Christmas light thing on craigtube before. He put them in a small dunnage container with the bottled beers so they'd condition properly in a cold Canadian basrment. I imagine a cardboard box around the fermenter with the lights would do it.

Of course, there's always THIS option too....;)

suitcarboycovers-51582.jpg

Thanks again for your info! I should really put more info out in my first post. I do have the carboy in a big-ass quilt and it is in the warmest corner of the house. Even did the cardboard box until it started warming up naturally today. Thought about it, but I'm nervy about getting involved in putting it in hot water. I don't want to make it too warm -and to a lesser degree, I don't want to have to worry about changing water, or having my kids go mess with it. Wouldn't that be a bumpy ride anyhow? Fluxing between temps? I'm sure it's not super-steady?

Lol revs,forgot about that pic. I do like the cover it up with something bit,def easier & somwhat more stable temp wise. I even used an old fleece lined CPO to cover'em with in the dead of winter. I get dibs on the blanket.;)

If most of the fermentation is complete, then from my understanding the little bit that is left shouldn't procude any significant off-flavors even if you bump the temperature up to the high end, so I don't think you need to worry too much about warming it up, as long as you don't shock it somehow by doing it really fast).

I'd consider buying a small aquarium heater for like $10 and sticking it in a swamp cooler.

Back