Safale T-58?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekybobo

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this yeast? I'm doing a Belgian Blonde next weekend, and saw this at Midwest. If you have used it, any thoughts/feelings about it?

I've used it once just to test it. I brewed a hefeweissen recipe, split it into 3 gallons each and pitched T58 and WB06 for comparison's sake. I picked up some spice and pepper from the T58 when I originally kegged it. I haven't tapped it yet though, the WB06 is on tap. I figured the Belgian strain might prefer some maturing, versus the true Hefe which was ideal fresh. the T58 was the first to take off after pitching. I had rehydrated both. It was actively fermenting within 4 hours. The WB06 was about a half day behind. Both packs were purchased the same time and I recall they were similar dates, but I don't have any notes on it.

This is good info. I'll probably go ahead and use it anyways next weekend, but very curious to see how yours turns out!

Well, based on your post, dunked a juice glass and took a sample. The spice is not noticeable anymore. Aroma is sweet with fruit notes, mango or citrus. I had dry hopped this half with 15g of Nelson Sauvin. Flavor is doughy with fruity esters and a dry finish. I reckon that doesn't sound very good, but it is. No mistaking it's a Belgian yeast. These were just basic beers aimed for my non-hop loving wife and her friends. They fit the bill and still satisfy me.

I've used this yeast in a Belgian Wit, and it came out very well. Fermented in the mid 60's and got a nice balance of spice, clove, and phenols. Gave delicate fruit flavors with some nice sweetness from the yeast. Based on that, I would think it would work well in a Belgian blonde. Also, fermented fast. I bottled it after 2 weeks in the primary and then it was ready to drink after 2-3 weeks in the bottle. It also aged well. Flavors were probably best after 1.5 months in the bottle, but it continued to taste good for 6 months when the batch was all drank.

Drinking the Belgian blonde I made with this now. Turned out rather nicely! Fruity esters for sure on this batch.

Back