NB Innkeeper Kit with West Yorkshire Yeast - Highly Recommended

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taypo

Reaction score
Granted, its only been a week in primary but after tasting the grav sample last night, I'm looking very much forward to this beer. Fermented around 66-68, its gone from 1.040 to 1.011 in 7 days. Gonna let it go for a couple more days, drop it on some gelatin and look forward to it. The West Yorkshire is throwing just a hint of banana and some English esters. Not sure how it tastes with the standard NeoBrittania but it cant be any better, can it?

I have this kit now and will be brewing it in a few days. I don't have any experience with the West Yorkshire either. We will see... Please post back when the beer is done. I'd like to compare yours to mine.
Cheers! Pez.

Just racked to secondary over some gelatin to see if we can get it to clear a little bit. 10 days in primary is a lot shorter than we normally go, but it was ready and I'm not looking for a crystal clear bitter. FG ended up at 1.010. The banana seemed to fade out, but there are really nice fruit esters. I can see this one going fast once its bottled.
Speaking of which, iBrewmaster calls for less than an ounce of priming sugar on this one to keep it carbed to style. Thats a little too flat for me, so we're probably gonna roll with an ounce and a half.

I brewed that beer without the west Yorkshire as it wasn't available and used Centennials instead of the English hops.... Easily one of the fastest beers to ever exit a keg... I need to rebrew it with the West Yorkshire and the English hops to see what it really is supposed to taste like.

We harvested the West Yorkshire for a Mild ale. If it goes as well, I can easily see this turning into house yeast.

Less than an ounce of priming sugar in 5 gallons? I know this kit is supposed to replicate a cask-conditioned traditional ale, but I'm with you -seems kinda flat regardless of what the calc shows. What kind of Co2 volumes is this supposed to achieve?

I use 4oz of corn sugar as a standard on all my traditional english ales. I realize that this all-in-one approach might actually over-carb some beers according to style guidelines, but I just don't care for any beer much carbed much less than than.

My exception to this is stout- served on tap with the proper nitrogen/stout tap setup. At home I just carb them up with 5 oz. of sugar.

Pez.

According to iBrewmaster, it wants .80 - 1.30 volumes in the bottle with that original priming sugar number. I'm not a big fan of style guidelines either, but going with 4 or 5 oz may turn this beer into something fizzy and american. Definitely dont want that. We're gonna start low, see where it ends up and then bump it on what will definitely be MANY rebrews on this.

FWIW, I'd go with the low carbing vols. I know it sounds ridiculous. I felt the same when I made Orfy's Mild for the first time just before Christmas. And for the first two weeks, the carbonation was indeed a little on the low side... as in, almost totally uncarbed. But the rest was great... the malt & yeast characters really shone through. Then, after two weeks of drinking one here & there, the carbonation finally blossomed just a touch to where it's perfect. Maybe 1/8-1/4" of creamy head, and just enough bubbles to liven up the body and make the roastiness shine even more, balancing out the malt.

YMMV, of course, but I'd try it to style first and then adjust from there!

i have had this brew kegged for 2 weeks...not a huge fan of this beer for some reason...but it is good dont get me wrong just not my favorite...i like ipa's and hops aroma so this isnt my favorite but I will still be drinking it tonight...i dont have a kegerator for no reason :mug:

Quick Update. Went into bottles on Saturday, very nice pale color. We went with an even 2oz of priming sugar for the batch. We typically drink a commercial version of what we're bottling on bottling days, but couldnt find anything close so we ended up with a bottle of Harpoon's 100 Barrel Series ESB. Excellent beer if you can find it near you.

Made this Landlord clone last year with the Yorkshire yeast. It was very good, but the yeast took a while to drop out. I would have left it in primary for a few more weeks. This type of beer is supposed to be crystal clear. I also used 1.5 oz of sugar to prime 5 gallons and it turned out well.

Taypo said:
Quick Update. Went into bottles on Saturday, very nice pale color. We went with an even 2oz of priming sugar for the batch. We typically drink a commercial version of what we're bottling on bottling days, but couldnt find anything close so we ended up with a bottle of Harpoon's 100 Barrel Series ESB. Excellent beer if you can find it near you.

This is supposed to be a clone of Timothy Taylor's Landlord

Cracked one of these today after only a week of bottle conditioning. Still a little green,but a nice foamy head and decent lacing. The hops are there, but not overpowering. Maybe a "light" pale ale. The yeast isn't up front, but the fruity esters are there. This is going to be a really delicious summertime beer. It's going to go fast.

Cracked one of these today after only a week of bottle conditioning. Still a little green,but a nice foamy head and decent lacing. The hops are there, but not overpowering. Maybe a "light" pale ale. The yeast isn't up front, but the fruity esters are there. This is going to be a really delicious summertime beer. It's going to go fast.

I'm brewing mine on Tuesday. Sounds good!
Pez.

I brewed this on Sunday. LHBS didn't have the 1469 so I used British Ale II.

Hope that was a good fit?

Granted, its only been a week in primary but after tasting the grav sample last night, I'm looking very much forward to this beer. Fermented around 66-68, its gone from 1.040 to 1.011 in 7 days. Gonna let it go for a couple more days, drop it on some gelatin and look forward to it. The West Yorkshire is throwing just a hint of banana and some English esters. Not sure how it tastes with the standard NeoBrittania but it cant be any better, can it?

I've been drinking this beer for two weeks now. I have to get another batch going because it is so good, and I know it's going to be gone real soon. Used the dry yeast and went from 1042 to 1.006. Used 4 oz corn sugar for the five gallon batch. No complaints at all.:mug:

Our second batch is about to come out of primary, left it for 4 weeks this time to see where that gets us. Not sure how it will turn out with other yeasts, but I'm becoming a real big fan of the 1469...

Back