New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
English Pale Ale, from 21 April:

DidIpSc.jpg

I needed to harvest some Brett for the Kumquat Saison I'm bottling tonight, so I cracked a bomber of my Brett Rye Saison w/ Pomegranate and Black Cherry.

It's tasting really great after about a year in the bottle. Beautiful color, tight white head, and great aroma, too. The fruit basically disappeared and left behind a light tartness, and the Brett is all over the nose and palate, but not overwhelming. This is a good reminder that you can make very satisfying beer with extract. (It was my last extract batch.)

CZgTBAs.jpg

wxGKINk.jpg

b725rHl.jpg

Koelsch, Koelsch, Koelsch... Koelschy, Koelsch, Koelsch!

32637212_1793437467380178_3109810850655895552_n.jpg

I bottled three 12oz bottles of this a while back for a local competition that was happening today with the thought that, as the comp neared, I'd crack bottle number 3 and decide if I wanted to do a fresh bottling or not...

Well, both kegs floated and I didn't have the chance to re-bottle, but based on this glass, I'm not too worried. A little low on carbonation and head retention, but bottle #3 was #3 because it had the most headspace.

Funny thing is, I messed up what I had planned for the recipie (missed a specialty grain entirely, forget what it was), but it turned out awesome. Calling it "Happy Little Accident" from here on out... and "on out" means it's gonna be a regular keg-filler.

How many oz of hibiscus per gallon did you use if I may ask

On this batch it was only 0.25oz per gallon; however, you could easily have doubled that while reducing any other hop additions. Hibiscus by itself adds a heap of bitterness which is why they add a shitton of sugar when making the drink Jamaica.

On this batch it was only 0.25oz per gallon; however, you could easily have doubled that while reducing any other hop additions. Hibiscus by itself adds a heap of bitterness which is why they add a poopyton of sugar when making the drink Jamaica.

Planning a blood orange/hibiscus version of my wedding day witbier, picked up 4oz for about 6gal of finished beer

Planning a blood orange/hibiscus version of my wedding day witbier, picked up 4oz for about 6gal of finished beer

That seems reasonable. You should pull some color, aroma, and bitterness from the hibiscus petals without it overwhelming it. I've done 1lb to 5 gallons ... you can omit any hop addition at that level, and you need to dump some nonfermentable, too. You might actually consider doing that due to the bitterness added from the petals. You can wait until it ferments out though to make that judgement call.

That seems reasonable. You should pull some color, aroma, and bitterness from the hibiscus petals without it overwhelming it. I've done 1lb to 5 gallons ... you can omit any hop addition at that level, and you need to dump some nonfermentable, too. You might actually consider doing that due to the bitterness added from the petals. You can wait until it ferments out though to make that judgement call.

I use 8oz of honey malt in my house Wit seems to add some sweetness, will be interesting to see how it turns out

Back