IPA Not Clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I brewed this approx 3 weeks ago and it has been in the keg for 6 days.

20.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
4.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 16.00 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.80 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 1.4 IBU
3.50 oz Centennial [10.80 %] (20 min) Hops 33.0 IBU
3.50 oz Centennial [10.80 %] (5 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
WLP001
Mash at 152
OG - 1.055
FG - 1.008
10 gallon batch

I am pulling taps off the keg and it is STUBBORN to clear. I am unsure what the issue is at this point, IBU's are only 66 or so and I was expecting this turbidity in the keg.

Do you all experience issues with IPA's clearing taking quite a bit? I keep telling myself it isn't infected and I honestly don't taste any lacto....but I was expecting this beer to be clear quickly.

Nope, it's surely steady. This attenuation is the result of a faulty thermometer and mashing at 147 because of the bad therm.

It seems that my IPA's never clear as quick as other beers. I just blame it on the dry hopping and continue drinking.

Indeed. Dry hopped beers tend not to clear as fast or as completely. That's part of the reasons the Germans find the practice so repugnant.

Indeed. Dry hopped beers tend not to clear as fast or as completely. That's part of the reasons the Germans find the practice so repugnant.

Silly Germans. They don't know what they're missing.

My IPAs typically clear within 2 to 3 months. But I don't do anything special to try to speed up the process either.

Absolutely my IPA's with lots of hops take a LONG time to clear. I have recently been leaving them in secodary for an extra week, and that helps. But the longer you wait to drink, the more the hop aroma mellows, so it's a tradeoff I think. I do have an IPA in secodary now going on 28 days, and it is still nowhere near clear. I am nearly out of IPA to drink, so I am considering kegging anyway and just dealing with it.

Alan

well, mine was grain three weeks ago so I guess it is still quite young. I will give it another week or two in the keg and report back, but I am assuming it will clear up just fine.

I find that lots of times I will keg an IPA, let it come up to desired carb, and the first half is cloudy, sometimes so cloudy that I am embarrassed to serve it to friends. Most times, by the second half of the keg it's a lot clearer, and many times, the last 6 pints are nearly crystal clear. I am not 100% that aging is the only factor at play, but that's how it seems to play out.

Alan

permo said:
well, mine was grain three weeks ago so I guess it is still quite young. I will give it another week or two in the keg and report back, but I am assuming it will clear up just fine.

my current ipa is pretty clear. it sat 3 weeks in primary and 6 in the secondary before kegging. I also like to dry hop with a muslin sack in the refrigerated keg (zip tied to the dip tube). Good aroma and the chill seems to help with hop cloudiness. My .02.

Do you guys think it clears faster in secondary at fermenting temps (64-68F)or in a keg under pressure in the beer cooler (mine is set at about 43F)?

Alan

There are various ways to clarify a dry-hopped IPA depending on your space and equipment.

One way would be to transfer your dry hopped beer to another conditioning vessel and chill it for a few days before kegging. At the same time, after the beer has chilled down, you can add a very small amount of re-hydrated gelatin.

I would suggest no more than 1/4 teaspoon gelatin mixed in 1/4 cup pre-boiled water. Allow the water to cool to below 160F before adding gelatin. Mix well.

Let the beer and gelatin mix stay cold for 3-4 days before kegging. This should result in a VERY clear beer and keep the dry hop aroma. Adding more gelatin may clarify quicker, but it will also remove some of the dry hop aroma.

Polyclar is another clarifying agent that works well. It can be added right at kegging.

Either gelatin or Polyclar can be added to a kegged beer if you wish to clarify a cloudy carbonated beer. Be careful releasing the pressure from the keg and slowly pour the cooled off mix into the keg. Put it back under pressure and wait a few days. The first draws of the keg will contain lots of yeast and coagulated proteins, but after the first 2-3 pints, everything should be fairly bright.

Is the gelatin just regular gelatin you can get in the grocery store in the little packets near the jello and pudding mixes (mmmmm....pudding :rockin: ).

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Alan

Is the gelatin just regular gelatin you can get in the grocery store in the little packets near the jello and pudding mixes (mmmmm....pudding :rockin: ).

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Alan

Yes.

Knox or generic unflavored gelatin.

Using 1/4 tsp per batch, a box of gelatin should last many a year.

If you have tried Pliny the Elder and attempted the Plinian Legacy from NB you will see the overall difference between the clarity. Its pretty mind blowing how different the two are. I have used both polyclar and gelatin. I do agree the longer its in the keggerator the better it looks!

Back