American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are making a 10 gallon batch would it be correct to assume to just double the ingredient amount that is used for the 5 gallon batch?

Yes, that's what I've done. The hops utilization isn't linear, so it changes a bit, but not really a big enough difference to worry about in my opinion.

Yes, that's what I've done. The hops utilization isn't linear, so it changes a bit, but not really a big enough difference to worry about in my opinion.

Gotcha. I am just wondering for future boils if I get to that point. Definitely starting with a 5 gallon boil on this first attempt. How should I go about determining my boil size? Obviously I want to end up as close to 5 gallons when finished but how much should I expect to burn off during the process?

Gotcha. I am just wondering for future boils if I get to that point. Definitely starting with a 5 gallon boil on this first attempt. How should I go about determining my boil size? Obviously I want to end up as close to 5 gallons when finished but how much should I expect to burn off during the process?

It varies greatly, depending on your burner, the humidity where you live, etc, but most people find they boil off about a gallon or so an hour.

Hmm...well I live in ca real close to the beach. Any formula I can use to figure out how much I should start with in my boil or can I just add water to it after it's done so I can make up the difference?

I have this sitting on tap in my keezer. When I first tried it, about a week after putting it in, it had a lot of hop aroma and was awesome. Last night (about 3 weeks later) I'm noticing much less aroma, and more of a bitey alcohol taste to it. Do I need to pull this out of the keezer & let it age a bit more? It went straight from the fermenter, into the keg, into the keezer to chill around 40F

It's been fifteen days in the keg (total) and in the keezer for a week with twelve pounds of CO2 applied. Just tried a half pint and oh my! It is very tasty and has such great aroma and hoppy character. Time to get a six pack of the real stuff and do a blindfold test next week! Thanks Yooper! :mug:

just wanted to say thanks a bunch for this recipe! i have several friends that love IPAs and have had quite a few in their time. They feel this is one of the top IPAs they have had! Thanks again!

Hmm...well I live in ca real close to the beach. Any formula I can use to figure out how much I should start with in my boil or can I just add water to it after it's done so I can make up the difference?

Sure. If you don't know for sure how much you'll boil off, you can always top up later.

I have this sitting on tap in my keezer. When I first tried it, about a week after putting it in, it had a lot of hop aroma and was awesome. Last night (about 3 weeks later) I'm noticing much less aroma, and more of a bitey alcohol taste to it. Do I need to pull this out of the keezer & let it age a bit more? It went straight from the fermenter, into the keg, into the keezer to chill around 40F

I don't age mine much, as the hops aroma and flavor fade with age. You can add some more dryhops, if you want. (Put them in a hops sock or tea ball first, so you don't clog up your diptube!)

I just asked that question about 5 pages back and yooper gave me the AG 10 gal batch recipe. If your doing extract idk.

Just transfered this to secondary Gravity was 1.024 and smelled and tasted great, still very young and strong, I had put an oz of Simcoe into the fermenter last week and on transfer I put an oz of Summits in. I still have an oz of Simcoe that I think I will add in a week. I want to get this on tap but I think it will be weeks away. Can't wait. But now the fermenter is open which means onto the next recipe, I think it will be the Jalapeno Cream Ale!

I just did the extract version last night, I used 14# of PLME and it will have 8oz of hops in total when done. I'm throwing in some summit into secondary when I get there. OG came out at 1.082, glad I had a 2l starter going. I can't wait for this one to be done it smelled awesome as it went into primary.

Wanted to pitch in and also say thanks for this recipe. Tasted this brew at not quite 2 weeks in the bottle and it's great! Tons of grapefruit citrus aroma and flavor, light body (and clear as can be)...really great. I don't have a commercial sample here to taste (will probably buy a sixer next week just to compare) but the hop flavor really seems more fresh and pronounced.

This is definitely a winner! :mug:

Dangerously quaffable...good thing I only chilled one bottle for tonight :)

Dangerously quaffable...good thing I only chilled one bottle for tonight :)

That's the "bad" thing about this recipe. It's really quaffable. But at 7.25+% ABV, it's really not a very good session beer!

My goal lately has been to take the same basic recipe, and turn it into a great 5-6% beer. It wouldn't really be a "clone" anymore, but I'm doing it about once a month to see if I can still get the same flavor and aroma in less ABV. The latest version is 5.75%. It's dryhopping now, so I don't have a final taste yet.

Yooper, I'm interested to know what kind of time line you have after kegging. I believe you mentioned consuming this brew sooner so that the hop aroma and flavor did not dissipate. At what point in time do you notice a dropoff in aroma and flavor? I'm beginning to draw a few pints at two and a half weeks...seems to soon, but I don't want the hoppy goodness to fade!

so my lhbs is gonna get me some simcoe. they also dont have any amber malt or warrior. how did the maris otter version compare?

so my lhbs is gonna get me some simcoe. they also dont have any amber malt or warrior. how did the maris otter version compare?

You know, it's only 6 ounces but I much prefer the amber malt. You could use biscuit malt as a sub and it'll be just about the same. I find that it's easier to find biscuit malt, so at least half of the time I use that instead of the Thomas Fawcett amber malt.

Yooper, I'm interested to know what kind of time line you have after kegging. I believe you mentioned consuming this brew sooner so that the hop aroma and flavor did not dissipate. At what point in time do you notice a dropoff in aroma and flavor? I'm beginning to draw a few pints at two and a half weeks...seems to soon, but I don't want the hoppy goodness to fade!

I honestly don't know how long before it fades. It doesn't last long enough, to be honest! The last batch we drank was made on 5/8/10 according to my notes. It was completely gone on 5/29. I had a little party on that day and the keg was kicked. I brewed it again on 6/3 and it's dryhopping now. I will probably keg it in about a week and start drinking it as soon as it's carbed up.

Ok, that was a cool boil. I ended up making a hop addition every two and a half minutes over the entire boil. It's in the fermenter now. I'll report back in three weeks when it's going in my belly! :)

I know it's a good brew when my wife tastes and says YUCK how can you drink that crap! lol She is not a drinker and not a hoppy beer fan at all! Another week and I think I will transfer to a keg and let age in the keg for a bit.

I honestly don't know how long before it fades. It doesn't last long enough, to be honest! The last batch we drank was made on 5/8/10 according to my notes. It was completely gone on 5/29. I had a little party on that day and the keg was kicked. I brewed it again on 6/3 and it's dryhopping now. I will probably keg it in about a week and start drinking it as soon as it's carbed up.

Thanks for the insight! I'll try a sample a week sooner next time.

Every batch I've brewed thus far I tuck away a few bottles to try at 3, 6, and 12 months just for my own personal curiosity.

With this particular brew I can tell you that pretty much all of the hop aroma was gone when I cracked the 3 month bottle. It was still a good beer, but it was not the GREAT beer it was when it was fresh. My advice is the same as Yoopers, drink it right away......and believe me, it took an unbelievable amount of self control to NOT drink those 3 reserved bottles of this batch :D I usually don't drink this much, but I killed a 5 gallon batch of this stuff almost completely by myself in less than a month once it was ready, shared 3 bottles I think. This was my 3rd batch, and I'm on batch #6 now, and I still have bottles of batch #1 left to drink, I just couldn't stop drinking this stuff.......and there's another batch of this carbing up in my spare bedroom as I type :D

holy fun batman! I brewed my first all grain version of this tonight. I missed all my temperatures, and volumes, and got these weird looking curdle like floaties in my boil, but it worked! I made beer! The OG was 1.056 so it wont be the same as my first batch, but im pretty pumped to see how it turns out. whoo!

oh ya, almost forgot. I found a reason why you should NOT RDWHAHB, if you have too many while brewing you will push your rubber stopper through the neck of your carboy nd into your beer. Then when trying to put a second one in, you will push that one through the neck as well and into the beer. Good thing I have a lot of rubber stoppers, and sanatize them before plugging the carboy neck.

oh ya, almost forgot. I found a reason why you should NOT RDWHAHB, if you have too many while brewing you will push your rubber stopper through the neck of your carboy nd into your beer. Then when trying to put a second one in, you will push that one through the neck as well and into the beer. Good thing I have a lot of rubber stoppers, and sanatize them before plugging the carboy neck.

One more reason to buy a blowoff tube :D Though I suppose if you are drunk enough you could technically push the whole tube in :drunk:

I made this last month and opened a bottle this past weekend....It was amazing!
I'm def going to be making this again.
Thanks for the great recipe!

My cellar is a tad warm this summer, so I was considering brewing this recipe, but switching to a Belgian 1388 yeast since its ideal fermentation temperature matches my cellar temperature. Probably going to stick with the same grain bill (2 row & amber) and hop schedule.

Any comments or recommendations?

OK i finally did my first 10 gallon batch with my new homemade keggle and all went well! Although it took a good 8 hours because i did 2 mashes in my 10 gal mash tun cooler because i knew i wasnt fitting 28 lbs of malt and 8 gal of water in one. SO far so good and i fly sparged for the first time too! tastes amazing no worries except for that the first mash was high temp around 159 degrees maybe even 160, i had it at 154 i THOUGHT but at end of hour i checked and it was 159. I hope i didnt create too many non fermentable sugars... anyone know? i added anothe .25 oz of warrior in case. The second mash i was dead on at 154 degrees the whole way. I hit 1.074 SG. Better than the crappy 1.052 I hit last batch.

So, just finished an early morning 10 gallon AG batch. I did make a couple of changes, first I used 26 lbs of Dingleman's Belgian Two-Row with 12 oz. of Fawcett Amber. The sacch rest was at 153˚ and I fly sparged at around 174˚. The sparge temp was a bit higher than I wanted, but I expect it will be just fine. Finally, I ended up pitching Belgian Strong Ale yeast 1388 because my cellar is at 72˚ this summer, and this yeast likes to ferment at that temperature.

Not sure if I should call this a Belgian IPA or American IPA.

I'd let it go. Taste it when done. If it's way too boozy and it needs some water, you could add more then at bottling time. Instead of adding 2 cups of water to your priming sugar, add 1/2 gallon for example. If it's too "thin", dry hop more.

I bet, though, that it'll be fine. You'll just have less beer, and wish you had more!

I just kept it as is just to experiment. I let it condition for awhile cuz I knew it would be boozy. The first couple pints had a purple tint to it which was pretty weird. After a couple more pints it started to taste better and better. Now, it tastes amazing, but it's nothing like dfh60. I would say it's a dfh90 clone now except IMO mine tastes a little better.

Tasty and strong! :mug:

Just wanted to say that after waiting impatiently this beer was amazing. This is the best beer in Hawaii right now! 5 Gallons gone in 10 hours, next time I am doing 10 gallons of this. Thanks for the great recipe!

Today is a sad day....

Cracking open the last bottle of my batch now! Thanks again for the recipe, it was definitely a hit! :mug:

:ban:
Just got the ingredients in for this, CAN"T WAIT!
:ban:
First Time Using Leaf Hops! Yea, It is the simple things that make me happy.

Need to get that darn Hefe out of my primary . . . .

I just kept it as is just to experiment. I let it condition for awhile cuz I knew it would be boozy. The first couple pints had a purple tint to it which was pretty weird. After a couple more pints it started to taste better and better. Now, it tastes amazing, but it's nothing like dfh60. I would say it's a dfh90 clone now except IMO mine tastes a little better.

Tasty and strong! :mug:

I'm gonna do this recipe again tomorrow. I'll make sure to not screw it up this time, i.e., remembering to take OG, remembering to have the right amount of volume, etc.. I'm excited. :D I'll let you know how it turns out and if there's a purple tint again.

Finally got a first taste of a batch of this I brewed on 3/1. Turned out a bit sweet, but I was expecting that as it had a FG of 1.022 (OG 1.077). Hop-wise it's damn delicious but it's got an almost syrupy mouthfeel.

I had the same problem with mouthfeel. Syrupy is the exact word I would use. Although if I remember correctly the FG for my batch was 1.020.

It was a partial mash recipe with fresh DME.

When I compared the clone with the real thing hop-wise it seemed to be spot on. (Except with the aroma. I've always had problems getting nice aroma.)
The mouthfeel of DFH 60 seemed a lot more "crisp" to me.

I did only pitch one packet of yeast.

Is the "syrupy" mouthfeel usually only related to FG? Or could it be other things that I could change.

Would love to make this recipe again.

brewed a variation of this last night. i had to sub biscuit for the amber malt.
also had to use nugget for bittering and centennial in place of the amarillo. stupid lhbs:mad:

brewed a variation of this last night. i had to sub biscuit for the amber malt.
also had to use nugget for bittering and centennial in place of the amarillo. stupid lhbs:mad:

Well, the nugget will be fine. I think centennial is great, too, so it'll be different than my recipe but I bet just as good. I am a huge fan of amarillo, though, so make sure you get some when you can and try a beer with amarillo late hopping. It's probably my current favorite hop, and the amarillo/simcoe combo is my all time favorite combo.

As for the biscuit malt as a sub for amber malt, that's fine. Amber malt (the Thomas Fawcett one) is bascially the same thing as biscuit malt.

I had the same problem with mouthfeel. Syrupy is the exact word I would use. Although if I remember correctly the FG for my batch was 1.020.

It was a partial mash recipe with fresh DME.

When I compared the clone with the real thing hop-wise it seemed to be spot on. (Except with the aroma. I've always had problems getting nice aroma.)
The mouthfeel of DFH 60 seemed a lot more "crisp" to me.

I did only pitch one packet of yeast.

Is the "syrupy" mouthfeel usually only related to FG? Or could it be other things that I could change.

Would love to make this recipe again.

I don't know. It shouldn't be syrupy, and should have finished lower than 1.020. You didn't happen to do a smaller boil, and then top off with water to bring you to 5 gallons? Maybe that could cause a beer to be "syrupy" but I haven't experienced that. If you have to do a smaller boil, try adding the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil and see if that reduces the syrupy-ness. (Is that a word?)

Well, the nugget will be fine. I think centennial is great, too, so it'll be different than my recipe but I bet just as good. I am a huge fan of amarillo, though, so make sure you get some when you can and try a beer with amarillo late hopping. It's probably my current favorite hop, and the amarillo/simcoe combo is my all time favorite combo.

As for the biscuit malt as a sub for amber malt, that's fine. Amber malt (the Thomas Fawcett one) is bascially the same thing as biscuit malt.

i have made a batch according to the regular recipe with amarillo. it was awesome. thats why im a little annoyed that i couldn't get any.

Just bottled the all grain version of this on the weekend. This was my first big all grain beer and I totally missed my numbers, started with ~22L OG 1.054, wound up with a FG 1.007. Live and learn I guess.
However my dry hopping went a little long due to life getting in the way, almost 2 weeks. Will this cause any adverse effects? The sample at bottling tasted pretty good, with a strong amarillo aroma and simco aftertaste.

Back