Extract and yeast storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill05

Reaction score
So I bought a bunch of safale 05 and was wondering the best way to store it and how long it is good for. I also have a couple of extract kits due to arrive tomorrow but I probably won't get around to brewing til this weekend. How should I store it? Thanks in advance.

I keep yeast and liquid extract in fridge (3-5°C), and hops in freezer (<0°C).
Grains are at room temperature in dark place.

That's about what I do. Hops on freezer door,yeast in butter cubby on fridge door,LME's in the fridge too. Grains,DME's,wood chips,etc on top shelf of pantry. I try not to let them sit more than 2 weeks or so till a brew day opens up. Or I finally collect up whatever else is needed.

Even if it's dry yeast?

Dry yeast goes in my butter cubby like union does. s-05 can be found under my box of butter sticks.

If you're going to brew in a few days, there's really no need to do anything else with the rest of your ingredients, you weren't asking about long term storage of your ingredients, just for a few days until you brew. There's no need to freeze your hops and deal with your grain and other stuff for a few days.

Back