Removing pipe from stainless braided hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfan99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok...I've PMed some of you so please forgive the bombardment. I'm brewing tomorrow and during my last brew I managed to break my copper manifold for my mash tun. I've seen several posters that use the stainless steel braid from a washing machine hose. I thought I would go this route since it would be easier. However, Im having the hardest time removing the pipe from underneath the braid. Can anyone who has done this give some help? Like I said, Im brewing tomorrow (Sat 24th)....and my usual "wait till the last minute" strategy is getting ready to bite me in the ass again :D

vtfan99 said:
Ok...I've PMed some of you so please forgive the bombardment. I'm brewing tomorrow and during my last brew I managed to break my copper manifold for my mash tun. I've seen several posters that use the stainless steel braid from a washing machine hose. I thought I would go this route since it would be easier. However, Im having the hardest time removing the pipe from underneath the braid. Can anyone who has done this give some help? Like I said, Im brewing tomorrow (Sat 24th)....and my usual "wait till the last minute" strategy is getting ready to bite me in the ass again :D

When you say pipe--you mean the rubber hose underneath the braid, right?
Its not easy. All I did was take the end and scrunch up the braid little by little and pulled the hose. Keep doing that and you'll get it. Its hard to explain, but really there is only one way to do it.

ORRELSE said:
When you say pipe--you mean the rubber hose underneath the braid, right?
Its not easy. All I did was take the end and scrunch up the braid little by little and pulled the hose. Keep doing that and you'll get it. Its hard to explain, but really there is only one way to do it.

Yeah... I meant the rubber hose underneath. I think I was trying to make it harder than it was. I had my wife hold one end of the hose with pliers while I tugged on the braid. I was trying to pull a little from one end and then inch that "free space" down the length of the braid until I got to the other end. Turns out, the third pass down the braid I grabbed the very end of the braid and the whole thing just slipped right off.

Its in the mash tun right now, so we'll see how it goes. I keep catching it when Im stirring though....it doesn't really want to stay on the bottom. We'll see.

Thanks for you help.

vtfan99 said:
Its in the mash tun right now, so we'll see how it goes. I keep catching it when Im stirring though....it doesn't really want to stay on the bottom. We'll see.

Thanks for you help.
I ended up cutting mine in half, then laying it in the bottom of the MT, and now it works much better. I used to catch it while stiring too.

Back