German Bock yeast WPL833

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion in using this for a Bohemian pilsner? My supplier accidentally sent this instead of Czech Bud WPL802, and while I assume they will correct it, I was planning on brewing this weekend and wondered if this would work in a pinch.

Thoughts?

Only 10 lbs German pilsner malt. Only saaz hops.

What (other than Bock) can you brew with the German Bock yeast?

try a munich dunkel.

Use your pilsner malt and add about

1/2 lb caramunich
1/2 lb dehusked carafa II
1 lb munich malt
1/2 lb carapils

Then use about an oz of your saaz (although I would ideally use perle or Northern Brewer) at 60 min

too much carafa, half lb will make it black.

white labs 833 bock yeast:
"well suited for Bocks, Dopplebocks, and Oktoberfest style beers. Very versatile lager yeast, it is so well balanced that it has gained tremendous popularity for use in Classic American style Pilsners. Also good for Helles style lager beer."

So yes, go ahead and use it for the pilsner.

Dave

JeffNYC said:
Anyone have an opinion in using this for a Bohemian pilsner? My supplier accidentally sent this instead of Czech Bud WPL802, and while I assume they will correct it, I was planning on brewing this weekend and wondered if this would work in a pinch.

Thoughts?

I think you will be fine. I'm currently fermenting my bohemian pilsner with the bavarian lager yeast.

Yes there might be differences, but I don't think that they will lead to a severly different tasting beer.

Kai

jager said:
too much carafa, half lb will make it black.

munich dunkel is best with 99% munich and 1% carafa

white labs 833 bock yeast:
"well suited for Bocks, Dopplebocks, and Oktoberfest style beers. Very versatile lager yeast, it is so well balanced that it has gained tremendous popularity for use in Classic American style Pilsners. Also good for Helles style lager beer."

So yes, go ahead and use it for the pilsner.

Dave

my mistake.....I actually used about 1/4 lb, probably less actually, I just eyeballed it, even though it did turn out rather dark, which was OK with me.

jager said:
munich dunkel is best with 99% munich and 1% carafa

do you use this in a single infusion mash? I was just wondering b/c the dark munich is pretty weak and may have a conversion problem when single infusion mashed.

Kai

Back