Weird reactions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACUBrewer

Reaction score
Ok, so I started an experiment while I was inbetween batches of brew.

I brewed 5 gals of tea with bags according to the directions on the cartons to get the correct tea base.
I then added 6lbs of sugar to bring up my OG
I cooled to 80 degrees and pitched champange yeast that I made a small starter of.
After 48hrs there was no CO2 discharge but the weird thing was the top of the mixture was swirling around and I could visibly see it moving.
Has anyone experienced this?

BTW: the rest of the experience will be as follows.
1. kill yeast after fermentation.
2. backsweeting half the batch and add raspberry extract and the other half will get lemonade added to it
3. bottle in gal containers with no carbonation
:mug:

Ok, long overdue update. Here is what happened:
I had it in the primary for about a month and then got orders to leave with the army on short notice. So my wife and I in fury on a saturday night bottled it all before I left. SWMBO is a great helper but does not like to have to monitor, track and brew. OG was 1.030 and when I bottled it was 1.010 and fermentation had definatly stopped. That is why I was in primary so long. But it still had a very yeasty taste.
Anyways, I get a call from my wife about half way through my time gone and she says that bottles are blowing up in the basement. I told her to cold crash them in my freezer and I would deal with them when I get home.
No joke. WORST BOTTLE BOMB EVER!!!!. I opened one bottle and the entire thing overflowed out of the bottle until it was completely empty. Needless to say it was a learning expereience.
I did the experiment again. This time more tea bags for flavor and more sugar. OG 1.065 and FG was 0.990ish. I had started this batch a week after the other one. 2.5 months primary. 3 weeks secondary. Much better. Very dry though. Did not backsweeten becasue my tolerence to surgar is very lower (no daqari's for me :)). But the point of the project is for my wife. She really likes the twisted teas. We tried three different extracts (blackberry, rasberry, strawberry/kiwi). After backsweetening a glass with sugar. VERY DELICIOUS.
I think next time I will increace the tea flavor, a little more sugar (OG 1.070-1.080), and a yeast that leaves some residual sugar. (ANY IDEAS FOR YEAST?)
I think that the next batch will hit the nail on the head and be stonger than the store version and not use malt liquor :S

Back