A mostly extract wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eye8oneu812

Reaction score
Hey everybody, this is my first post to this forum.
I'm planning on brewing up an extremely hoppy wheat beer, and this is my recipe.

6 lbs Wheat LME (65% Wheat, 35% Barley)
1 lb Munton and Fison's Wheat DME (65% Wheat, 35% Barley)
1 lb malted wheat (to be steeped, I don't think I'll mash it)
1/2 lb Crystal 60

Hops Schedule (all pellet hops)
1 oz Simcoe @60 minutes
1 oz Simcoe @15 minutes
1 oz Amarillo @10 minutes
1 oz Cascade @ 5 minutes

1 oz Cascade leaf hop dry hopped into secondary fermenter

Yeast
Wyeast American Wheat strain

My goal is to create a wheat ale, sort of like a wheat IPA I suppose, with a slightly citrus flavor derived solely from the hops. I also have an oz of Centennial lying around, and 2 oz of Tettnang, also pellet hops.
Anybody think this could turn out to be good? Or would it be way too overpowering as far as the hop flavor, and undrinkable? (I do like hops!)

Thanks for your responses!

If you've got malted wheat, why not mash it? You're looking at 30 minutes at 152F rather than steeping at a higher temp. I'd cut the crystal to 4 oz., but nothing wrong with the hopping. You can decide on the dry hopping after the ferment. I like to do successive dry hops, but that can be a real trick if you are using carboys for clearing.

I would strike the malted wheat...it has to be mashed and I really don't think it will add anything to your recipe. You could hold it at 150-155F for an hour and be assured it has converted, but it seems to me it would be less time consuming to just get the extract boiling and go.

Well, I'd like to post an update on this. This beer has been my favorite so far, really nice hop flavor, awesome head retention, and it has gotten really good compliments from my friends. It has a bit of a citrus taste, a great aroma, and is a really smooth, nice drink. Thank you for your comments, and happy homebrewing!

Back