Aerate the Wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made over 30 batches and have never used a rod, or wand to areate. I just slosh the cooled wort in the carboy before pitching yeast. Never had an issue.

I'm with John. After transferring my wort to the fermenting bucket, I snap the lid on, sanitize my thumb and cover the airlock hole and the shake the living daylights out of it for 3-5 minutes. If it's too heavy for you (it gets too heavy for me after about 2 minutes), put it on a clean and slightly damp counter and just shake it on there.

Agreed. Shake the be-jesus out of it. I find covering the carboy top with tin foil and a plastic back and putting it on my lap, rocking it back and forth works good. Or just put it on an edge and shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake that booty! Shake that booty!

I just pour from the kettle to the fermenter back and forth and pitch. Works like a charm. Haven't quite bought in to the stone deal and O2 tank. I have enough going on already.

~Diz

I have the Mix-Stir and it's very useful and much easier than shaking. I also use it for breaking up dough-balls in the mash & boil.

You could get one of these for a couple bucks and forget the shaking.
siphon-sprayer.jpg

I also just shake. I would rather put that money towards another batch of brew! I would also be concerned about scratching up my buckets if the blades were to hit the sides of the bucket.

I put my 6.5 gallon bucket fermenter on top of a football and rock/shake it. You wouldn't believe how much easier it is.

I used the mix-stir rod for a year before moving to pure O2. The rod works well to agitate the wort, but I always expected it to break. The little wings don't seem strong enough to hold up to mixing 5+ gallons of wort for the long-term. A few months ago, I retired the rod to my winemaking only, and moved to oxygen, using the Williams Brewing system (http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAM_S_AERATION_SYSTEM_P496.cfm). If I were considering a aeration method, I'd go with the shake method until I could save enough cash for an O2 system. I've done the shaking method and the mix-stir rod; I don't believe the rod gives the yeast any more oxygen than shaking.

Agreed, however it's easier & takes less time than shaking IMHO. That and you can use it for Wine Degassing, and breaking up dough balls. ;)

+1. Much easier than lifting a full fermentor. Plus, it involves power tools; I still get to use my for degassing wine. For about another $25, though, OP could use pure O2. I've noticed a big improvement in fermentation (shorter lag, more vigorous) since changing. Aerating with O2 is even faster than the rod.

I think shaking the hell out of the fermenter works if you do partials, but if you do full boils it would be wise to consider an aeration method like O2 tank and SS airstone. I utilized this method for the first time with a Hefe I brewed up and it was easy and I had phenomenal fermentation with minimal lag time.

axr

I just bought one and used it for the first time last night. I won't be using it again. It wobbles like crazy and I couldn't get it to balance out. Also, it's too long and I have to hold my arm up in a very uncomfortable position. That being said, it seemed to do more stirring than aerating. I went back to the shake method. But that little adult novelty above looks promising..

I stand on a milk crate and move the mix stir from the bottom to the top of the wort slowly. As you move to the top you introduce the air and create a lot of froth, when you move to the bottom you mix it in. I usually do this until my wort froth is starting to climb out of my fermenter.

Shaking has worked fine for me as well, but after dropping a glass 7 gallon fermentor full of sanitizer I'm a little gun-shy about doing more manipulation than needed. For my glass fermentors I use an oxygen system/stone now.

Im assuming u stick the top of that into the carboy and pour? It looks similar to a wine aerator

If you are referring to the "adult novelty", it fits on the end of a hose and is about one inch in diameter. The wort travels through it, hits the point in the middle and sprays in all directions similar to a fire sprinkler. I have since switched to O2 but in the past found that $2 device worth every penny. I brew to relax, the last thing I'm going to do is exert myself shaking a full carboy or bucket.

Back