Never considered this would happen..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Sudster

Reaction score
I have recently added steam injection to my brew system. I was having very good luck with it until today. I was running short on water in the pressure cooker and decided to add more water. I turned off the plate burner and decided to leave the valve open to let the steam dissipate. I didn't remove the pressure weight from the top as I had done in previous sessions. Well what happens as the cooker cools is that it creates a vacuum. The vacuum sucked wort out of my mash tun and filled the cooker to the brim. I was not aware this was happening. It happened fast too. I was trying to get the top off the cooker and was having more difficulty this time than usual . I kept thinking ..what has got this thing locked down. Good thing I was still leary of any steam that might still be there because when I finally got the top off 152F wort came rushing out. I thought Damn! what's happened here. It quickly occured to me that I had created a vacuum and since the valve was open it sucked up the wort. This could have been a lot worse had I used brute force to get the top off. So, if any of you guys are considering adding one of these gizzmos to your system be aware of this phenomena and shut the valve off before you turn the burner off. Leave the counter pressure weight on the top and let it cool down to the touch.

I did pour the wort back into the tun and pressed on. Spilled only about a pint. Damn lucky.

Glad too hear of no nasty burns, man that sounds like it could get outta hand fast thanks for the heads up!

Sometimes, on very rare occasions, I find myself thankful that I have a very, VERY simple brew system. Most of the time I'm green with envy. I'm glad you're unscathed. The brewing gods were smiling upon you.

Otherwise you'd be "SMOKIN''"

Dang...good tip...I'll stick with my direct fired system I think. I don't think I'm qualified/sober enough to run a steam system, and I know I would have gotten caught the same way you did. It does make sense, though, and is a pretty neat display of physics in the brewery ;)

Glad you're unharmed! Cheers :D

Thanks Guys. I thought I had all the bases covered. I even thought I was a bit "Over Kill" with the safety features. Not!

Otherwise you'd be "SMOKIN''"[/QUOTE said:
Yeah Man, and no one here to STOP MEEEE! :D

Back