CO2 splitting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
hello all,

I am finally hooking up my keg setup and I have a question about splitting the CO2.....

Since there is a check valve on my regulator couldn't I just get a 1/4" barb and 2 1/4" barbs with valves and split them with a tee connector since the check valve at the regulator will protect it?

Is there something im missing?

If I'm understanding it correctly, yes. Do you have a check valve just under the bottom of the regulator and you're wanting to put a tee off that to two other valves? Why do you need those valves? Couldn't you just use barbs? If you want to shut off the gas to a keg can't you just disconnect the quick disconnect on that keg? That's what I do, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Yea I guess that makes sense I could just leave the QD hanging and no gas should get out. I was just thinking of doing this cause the manifolds can get kinda pricey and it seemed like the only benefit was the check valve

The only reason for putting check valves on each beer rather than just the 1 at the regulator would be that if the beers aren't equal pressure (either when you hook it up, or before they balance out), it will prevent backflow from one keg to another.

That's true. I haven't had that problem, but I'm careful when disconnecting or connecting to relieve pressure first from any keg that I've been force carbing.

So if the headspace pressure is relieved there should be no problem with the crossover between kegs even if they are carbonated at different pressures?

i.e. could I carb two kegs to different pressures and then switch them over to the same pressure for serving with a tee connector provided that the headspace is bled?

Back