Want to build a 10-gallon 3-tier system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
I want to build a 3-tier 10 gallon system CHEAPLY ($200.00 or less!) for doing 10G AG batches over the winter. Does anyone have any links to threads, websites, suggestions for parts, assembly etc... Much appreciated.

I built my 3 tier system about 6 months ago, and did it for pretty close to $200. Here are most of the parts I used.
angle iron and bolts to build the frame: ~$100
2 kegs(1 was mine, another donated from a friend): free
10 gallon igloo water cooler: $40 from home depot
2 propane burners from the side of bbq's: one free from uncle's old bbq, another for $10 off of craigslist
propane tank came with the craiglist bbq, and some hose clamps and tubing are cheap to connect
brass nipples, shutoff valves, and through hull fittings: ~$70 at west marine

I think that is all the major parts that i needed, hopefully that helps some.

It gives me hope! I guess the biggest part is obtaining the kegs. My uncle just GAVE a keg to the beer place that he had for 5 years! He got a measly $10.00 for it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I live in NY and our total keg deposit is $75.00 NYS + 10.00 KEG, so its not economical to "not return them".

For the kegs you can try scrap metal places. yeah they might be stolen, but i just assume that most kegs are stolen at some time, and don't worry about it.

I am always eager to show off my stand. All told I have about 300 invested in it, but if you can find scrap metal (bed frames, etc.) the cost will go down significantly.

Here is the build thread.

$200 seems really tight, unless you have people who will weld for free and can find really cheap kegs and burners and valves. Go to the scrap yards. They can be gold minds!

Back