1098 vs. S-05 Double Pitched oops, who'll win?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
I made a brown ale (ChshreCat's Brown Biscuit), and pitched Wyeast 1098 on Saturday. This morning there was still no airlock activity, I know, I know, don't rely on airlocks. Anyhow, I rehydrated some S-05 and pitched, then noticed the healthy krausen. My question is, will the Brit ale yeast still contribute to the party, or will the S-05 take over? Rather ticked that I wasted yeast.
Lesson learned, and offered; check for krausen first!! I've got several AG batches under my belt, but still jumped the gun.:mad:

edit: I should add that I mashed at 156#, so it shouldn't get too dry, should it?

I would have waited out the 1098 myself. Did you make a starter with the 1098? If not, that may be the reason for the slower start. The best way to know what is happening in the fermenter is with a hydrometer rather than bubbles in the airlock or foam on the wort.

The problem was that it had started, I just hadn't checked for krausen. I've used liquid yeast (activator packs) before with no starter and no problems.

An activator pack has about the same number of yeast cells as a packet of S-05 and they had a day to multiple. The 1098 wins.

An activator pack has about the same number of yeast cells as a packet of S-05 and they had a day to multiple. The 1098 wins.

Thanks, I can stand to lose a packet of S-05, but wasn't happy about losing any contributions the Brit Ale yeast would add to my Brit brown ale!

is it about which one wins? They will both be fermenting. the 1098 has a head start though for sure. I double pitched on a RIS with dry english and cali

is it about which one wins? They will both be fermenting. the 1098 has a head start though for sure. I double pitched on a RIS with dry english and cali

Per my original post, will the 1098 still offer its character? Of course they will both ferment.

Neither one of those yeast strains are genocidal so you might get some traits from both of them.

S-05 is a very strong yeast, I hope the 1098 had enough time to get its cell count up.

and I would wash that yeast if it performs to your liking !!!!

That 1098 doesn't have a lot of Brit character anyway. If you want Brit character, you should use a different yeast. Don't get me wrong, 1098 is great. But it's a pretty neutral yeast. You can use it for American styles and enter in competitions and the judges can't tell it's British yeast.

If "you knew, you knew" about airlock activity, then why the heck did you feel the need to repitch? And why didn't you wait the 72 hours we recommend before doing anything, like we mention here? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Or use a hydrometer?

Come on, you say you Know...yet you did exactly what a noob who doesn't know any better does, try to fix something that may not even be broken to begin with, just because you are impatient. :D

Back to mr beer for you....your allgrain card is revoked. :D

That 1098 doesn't have a lot of Brit character anyway. If you want Brit character, you should use a different yeast. Don't get me wrong, 1098 is great. But it's a pretty neutral yeast. You can use it for American styles and enter in competitions and the judges can't tell it's British yeast.

Sort of like S-04?

If "you knew, you knew" about airlock activity, then why the heck did you feel the need to repitch? And why didn't you wait the 72 hours we recommend before doing anything, like we mention here? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Or use a hydrometer?

Come on, you say you Know...yet you did exactly what a noob who doesn't know any better does, try to fix something that may not even be broken to begin with, just because you are impatient. :D

Back to mr beer for you....your allgrain card is revoked. :D

What can I say??:drunk:

Sort of like S-04?

S-04 is the same as Wyeast 1099 from what I understand, which is Whitbread. 1098 is Whitebread Dry. It's drier, attenuates more, along the lines of Wyeast 1056 or Safale US 05. I haven't used Wyeast 1099 or Safale S 04, but they supposedly attentuate a bit less.

1098 is pretty clean, not a lot of esters or mineral or other Brit character. Can't say with S-04 if it's like that. I hear S 04 is "bready".

You can read Wyeast's or White Labs website info and they give pretty good descriptions of what the yeast character is like. If you want more Brit character, go more for one that says it has that rather than one that says it's "neutral, clean".

What can I say??:drunk:

noob1nw8.jpg

:fro:

I think I may start a "Revvy's Regression Award" for any more "experienced" brewers who take a step back and do something that they clearly new better, and did any way.

You've inspired me. :mug:

The yeast will win. You likely over-pitched. I recently did a similar thing except I started with a washed cake (so I had a ton of yeast to begin with) but it didn't start quickly so I pitched a packet of S-04. The beer was fine.

Back