hops turning brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlandsbrew

Reaction score
I just got back from vacation and noticed that my centennial hops are turning brown only on the west side of the hops flower, the rest of the flower is still light green and not drying out, could this be from the sun or is there other reasons for this, the weather has been in the mid 80's and the plants were being watered while I was gone. Thanks.

Have they been rubbing up against anything like the side of the house? I noticed mine have turned brown on one side up against the house. Either from the friction when the wind blows or the radiant heat off the siding.

Check the undersides of the leaves and break open the cones. look for aphids and spidermites. Could also be over fertilizing. or like the previous post indicated, contact with a hot surface.

in my case it was aphids which went form nada to complete infestation in about a week. Some neem oild, safer soap and daily spraying with pressurized water (hose sprayer thing) brought it under control in about 2 weeks and theyre doing good now.

Back