How much grain in a 5 gallon cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How much grain will fit in a 5 gallon cooler?

I understand that you need a 10 gallon cooler to do 5 gallon AG batches, but I have an old 5 gallon cooler, which makes the price about right.

Go ahead and use it. I find that you will run out of room at some point depending on how strong you like to brew and grain to water ratio. Use the Can I mash it calculator on this page to see if your recipe will fit in the cooler.
Edit: Most likely you can get 13 lbs of grain in there @ 1.18 quarts per pound.

How much grain will fit in a 5 gallon cooler?

I understand that you need a 10 gallon cooler to do 5 gallon AG batches, but I have an old 5 gallon cooler, which makes the price about right.

I've got a 5 gal. cooler MLT that I use for 5 gal batches. I just did a batch this weekend that used almost 11 lbs. of grain, and it fit just fine.

I've also got a 5 gallon round cooler. I find that it maxes out at 13 lbs of grain at 1.25 gal/lb. And this ratio leaves a little bit of space to make small temperature adjustments, if necessary.

If I want a stronger beer, I just make up the difference with extract.

I've done Yooper's DFH 60 min clone in a 5 gal MLT. The grain bill was 14 lbs. It was a real tight fit and I mashed pretty thick but it worked out. Last night I used 12lbs and used a 1.25 qts/lb mash and it all fit perfectly with about 1/2" to spare at the top.

The green bay rackers calculator is great...

I have crammed 14 pounds of grain using a tad over 1 quart/gallon mash water (I think it was 1.06 quarts according to the calculator) and using biermuncher's sparge bucket to sparge with...Actually irc, I think I drained the tun, then filled the cooler with half the water, closed it up for 20 minutes, then put the bucket on top, and pseudo flysparged the rest of it....

Go ahead and use it. I find that you will run out of room at some point depending on how strong you like to brew and grain to water ratio. Use the Can I mash it calculator on this page to see if your recipe will fit in the cooler.
Edit: Most likely you can get 13 lbs of grain in there @ 1.18 quarts per pound.

Thank you for that link, that is a sweet site.

I upgraded to a 15g cooler the first time I had 14lbs of grain, I was fine until then.

Latest posts

Back