Best Portable C02 Option?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishheadmi

Reaction score
I just ordered a cannonball mini keg system through Northern Brewer's recent 20% off sale. I plan on using the included regulator with a soda setup and purchasing a new, more portable C02 system to use with the cannonball.

I'm looking for an easily portable unit, the cannonball keg is just shy of 11" tall and about 9" in diameter. I just so happen to have a round cooler that will fit the keg and a small C02 tank perfectly. Now...what I have to decide is what C02 system is best.

I won't be doing any carbing with this system, so I'm looking strictly for serving. I've looked at this mini regulator for use with the disposable cartridges...

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BALL-LOCK-KEG-MINI-REGULATOR-P3932.aspx

Looks cool, but my concern is going through dozens of cartridges...at about $5/pop they'll add up quick. Also, I'm not clear on whether or not there's a shutoff on this regulator...so, not sure if I can dispense my 1.75 gallon cannonball, then switch the regulator to another keg and keep going. If not, I'd be using a full cartridge per cannonball, which wouldn't be efficient at all.

Another option I'm considering is a paintball tank with regulator. Williams has a small version, similar to the one above...

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PAINTBALL-TANK-MINI-REGULATOR-P3933.aspx

But I'm thinking if I'm going with a paintball tank I might just as well go with something more substantial, like this:

http://www.homebrewing.org/The-Adapter-II-Paintball-Gauge_p_2635.html

Actually, that's the way I'm leaning, but I'm not finding any "midsize" paintball tanks...I'd like to find a "squatty" or "low-profile" tank that would be around the same height of the cannonball keg to fit in the same cooler (my limiting factor is more height than width/diameter). Does anyone know of any "shorty" C02 tanks? I see a couple 7 oz tanks that might work, but they seem awfully small...any idea how much beer one could push with a 7 or 9 oz tank? Refilling is not impossible, but not easy in my area.

Any input or suggestions?

It'd be a bit of money upfront, but I think buying a paintball tank and regulator, then a larger tank with dip tube would be sweet. Could just keep recharging it from that.

Haven't done it yet but planning on using the paintball pin valve with regulator. For ultimate portability I will be using those large disposable co2 cartridges, you will also need an adapter for these to screw into the pin valve.

I have also considered using the the paint ball tank as my main system using my larger 20# tank for filling station. ( as I know it is not recommended to fill tanks this way).

I bought a Williams Brewing mini regulator and use it with a paintball tank. I like how small the regulator is. I also bring along a Williams Brewing CO2 cartridge just in case the paintball tank runs out. Works great. It's also great that many sporting good stores (e.g. Sport Authority) will refill the paint ball tank.

You can buy a 20 oz paintball tank at Dick's Sporting Goods for $30 and refill it for a couple bucks. First fill is free. That's what I use for portable keg dispensing.

This is no help if you are in a hurry, but if you are a patient buyer keep an eye on paintball tanks at Wally's. I bought a 20 oz talk when they dropped them to $17. Then I thought maybe I should get 2. Went back and they were $13. Got 2 more. 3 for$47. I got my regulator here from a brewer in NC. But like I said, I was in no hurry.

This is no help if you are in a hurry, but if you are a patient buyer keep an eye on paintball tanks at Wally's. I bought a 20 oz talk when they dropped them to $17. Then I thought maybe I should get 2. Went back and they were $13. Got 2 more. 3 for$47. I got my regulator here from a brewer in NC. But like I said, I was in no hurry.

Wow, great deal! I just looked on the Dick's website and they're $30 but I'm pretty sure mine was cheaper when I bought it. Will Dick's refill the Walmart tanks?

I have no Dicks near me. (Well actually .. :)) I fill at a welding shop, but yes, if they can fill a paintball tank, then they can fill a paintball tank.

Back