a note from the impatient brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckerzero

Reaction score
so far ive keged my beer as soon as it was done ferminting (reached my target gravity)
my all grain had a funny flavor almost like raw barley
well newbys there is no substatute for time
its been 3 weeks and 1 day since i pitched
and 2 weeks since i keged and in no longer looks like
a unfiltered wheat i can see through my beer now
and more importantly it actually tastes like beer
not some high octane barley soup lol
moral of the story
beer actually needs at least a couple weeks
to age after primary fermintation and it will taste
a 100 fold better this from a newby my self(4th batch started last night)
just a extract i lost my last all grain to band aid
i used filtered water and switched to idofer for this batch

The yeast needs a bit of time to clean up the by-products of fermentation. You can push the timetable a bit on lower gravity brews, but the yeast still needs to flocculate out. You can pound out a drinkable brew in 4 weeks or less if you really know what you're doing.

My solution to my impatience!
Fill up my pipeline so much I have to let the beer age/condition before the keg is ready to serve.
I am not kidding, I'm too old to learn patience, and too young to understand it.
This is the only way I can do it, the down side is buying a few more carboys and kegs.

+1 to downside. if i had the money id have my pipeline chucking out beers every 2 weeks with tons o cornies and taps....but for now im satisfied with being a college student and my 2 carboy's

Did you guys think we were kidding when we said waiting makes better beer? :D

I've begun to think that THEY (da n00bs) think we're blowing smoke up their a$$es, or that it is some bizarrely torturous hazing ritual we brewers with more batches put them through....Kinda like hazing at the frathouse or something :D

Nah....this is what we do to n00bs....at least the ones who buy a membership...:D

We make them go to the LHBS like this....

pirate_stripper.JPG

Beer just actually get better with time.

Oh Revvy, please NEVER post that picture again... especially in the evening. <shudder>

I am an impatient brewer! I now keep my beers in primary for at least 3 weeks and then supposed to hold in bottles for 3 weeks at room temperature. This is very due to my empty pipeline I resort to drink my beer before its "officially" ready. With next 2 batches I will be all set and on the bright side in the last month I think I only bought 1 6 pack of commercial beer.

Just opened my last cold Blue Mooner clone. I still have about 14 x 750ml bottles left and 2 at my parents house which will last me for 2 weeks or so while my bottled batch tomorrow will carbonate.

One thing I like to add is that with beer you cant cut corners. You need to give it time to let the yeasties do their work.

I will stick to my triple 3 rule - 3 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in bottles, 3 weeks to appreciate the beer.

I've found a solution to deal with the noob impatience: Drive 300 miles away from your beer and plan to stay there for a week. Bonus points for downloading all the brewing podcasts you can to make the driving go faster.

All this time I thought all the waiting was just an inside joke on all the new guys. :p

My favorite solution for impatience: Wait until beer is drinkable, portion it out, and drink a batch of it while the rest waits to get better. You wont get as much really good beer out of it, but you get to taste it sooner and it beats having to wait to get :cross:

Back