What is this stuff?!?!? Mold, yeast?!?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
So I bottled my SMaSH ale and now two days later there is what appears to be a very faint thin film in pretty much all of the bottles.

This film is milky clear, and when I shake the bottles there is a somewhat solid milky white substance that start falling to the bottom of the bottles.

The yeast is settled at the bottom, but what could this be?

Im pretty sure that its mold, and I have gotten my first infection, but I would hate to toss 5 gallons of bear on a guess.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance

Lucas

You bottled it two days ago? It ain't mold, fool :D it's bottle krauzens...Relax.

It would take longer than 48 hours to get mold....and for the 500th time, it is really hard to infect your beer!

Sheesh. (Why are n00bs always so quick to call infection on their beers???)

:D

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Stick them back in the closet where they belong and come back it 19 days.

RDWHAHB!

Technically speaking the whit milky stuff IS yeast...the same thing that happens in your fermenter during fermentation is happening now in your bottles. The yeast is top fermenting, and it is fermenting your priming sugar...most people never notice it because after we bottle we shove our bottles into a warm, dark space, and ignore them for 3 weeks.

Could be an infection or it could be an artifact of some very vigorous conditioning. But relax... the beer is bottled and there is nothing you can do about it now. I suggest forgetting about it for three weeks, then stick a sixpack in the fridge for a day or three and see how it tastes.

Most homebrewed beer is infected to some extent (unless you run it through sub-micron plate filter). 99% of the time, those infections will be below the taste threshold or just barely perceptible, i.e. the beer will still be perfectly enjoyable. Of the other 1%, most will still be drinkable, if a bit funky. So don't worry - the odds are in your favor!

You bottled it two days ago? It ain't mold, fool :D it's bottle krauzens...Relax.

It would take longer than 48 hours to get mold....and for the 500th time, it is really hard to infect your beer!
Ha Ha, I wish.
I've had more infected ones that good ones.
But I agree about the length of time, they take a couple of weeks to show up.

Ha Ha, I wish.
I've had more infected ones that good ones.
But I agree about the length of time, they take a couple of weeks to show up.

Have you ever actually taken your beer to another homebrewer or homebrew shop to confirm your "infection?" A lot of brewers misdiagnose green beers as infection...A lot of new brewers misdiagnose their beers as just about every pathology/problem they read about...DMS, Diactyl, etc, when in reality it is simply a young beer...

Because honestly....it is a very difficult thing to do...infections are really not that common if you follow basic sanitization practices. And if you do get an infection then it is a good idea to flush everything with bleach water, replace any hoses, and make sure there are no scratches in buckets, etc.

Let's start with some basic science to show you what I mean.

First no known pathogen can grow in wort/beer...It may get moldy but it wouldn't make you ill. (this is not the OP's problem, btw)

Besides even the smallest amount of viable yeast cells would start some fermentation which would be helping to prevent anything from growing. Don't forget, that hops are a preservative to begin with...

Googling "pathogens in wort/beer" netted me this info from a food microbiologist/homebrewer on another forum...

Can you get a PATHOGEN from beer. No. NO *NO* Did I make that clear? You have a ZERO chance of pathogens in beer, wine, distilled beverages. PERIOD!

Pathogens are described as organisms that are harmful and potentially life threatening to humans. These are some 1400+ known species overall encompasing viruses, bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and helminths. Of that group, we are only interested in those that can be foodborne. Quite simply, if it can't survive in food, it isn't in beer. That knocks out all but bacteria and fungi. Viruses need very specific circumstances to be passed around... like on the lip of a glass or bottle, not the beer in it. **Ahhh...CHOOO!**

Pathogens as a rule are very fastidious beasts. Meaning that they want very specific temperatures, acidity, nutrients and other conditions to thrive.

Bacteria that *could* live in wort, cannot survive even a little bit of fermentation. There are several reasons for this. One is in the 'magic' of hops. It is the isomerized alpha acids that provide a preservative effect to the beer, which happens to inhibit pathogens! Good deal for fresh wort!

Another reason is the drop in pH from fermentation. Next, yeast emit their own enzymes and byproducts, all in an effort to make the environment hostile to other creatures. The major one is alcohol, of course, but their enzymes will break down less vigorous organisms and they become sources of trace nutrition. Now the latter is very minor compared to the effect of alcohol, but it exists! Most of the time these enzymes work on the wort, not organisms until late in the process. Good deal for beer! ...uh, wine too.

Oh, Botulism specifically... did you know that this is an anaerobic pathogen? It's toxin is one of the few that is broken down by boiling. Did you know tht it is strongly inhibited by isomerized alpha acids, even in water? Since fresh wort has a healthy amount of oxygen in it, the beastie cannot even get started, then once the O2 is used up, it doesn't have a chance against the hops or the yeast.

All that is left are a handful of acid producing bacteria that'll ruin a batch of beer. Overall, there are less than 200 organisms that can survive in beer and lend flavor effects. None of these for very long, or very often. Lambic being the sole exception, and if pathogens *could* survive, that'd be the style where you find 'em.

So, you might make a beer that'll kill your ego, but not your friends, family, co-workers or enemies.

Repeat after me Hops Are Our Friends!!!

Now let's talk boiling...If you've boiled your wort, then you have effectively steralized it...If you've cooled quickly when you put you wort into a sanitized you've reduced the number of infection producing entities greatly.

Fermentation as mentioned above will further kill off more nasties...

CO2...the cushion of co2 produced during fermentaion, does just that cushions the surface of the beer from most airborn particulate matter that could infect the beer...and the slight up/out draft of the co2 pushing away the O2 narrows the odds of it happenning.

Next let's talk sanitizers...If you are using a FDA approved sanitizer (Iodaphor, or Starsan). In order to get FDA approval to use the name sanitizer it must meet the following standard.

The official definition (Association of Official Analytical Chemists) of sanitizing for food product contact surfaces is a process which reduces the contamination level by 99.999% (5 logs) in 30 sec.

These sanitizers must be active against bacteria, viruses, yeasts, molds, fungi, and protozoans.

(there's some good info on using sanitizers here...including the link to the basic breweing podcasts about iodophor/starsan and bleach (the same episode as starsan.) https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54932

This doesn't even take into consideration the mere antibacterial action of soap and hot water during our cleaning.

So what I am saying is...Each step in the chain of cleanliness/sanitization greatly reduces the possibility of infections...add to that the very chemical/ph composition of the beer and it's inability for Pathogens, greatly reduces just what could grow in it....

So if there's 200 types of entities that could possibly survive in beer...and a Sanitizer is more than likely killing 99.999% of them in a mere 30 seconds of contact....Can you see how the odds are in our favor???

I'm not saying, Paul that your beer isn't infected...but I am also saying you could be wrong...and if I'm wrong then you could easily wipe it out with what I mentioned in the top of this long post....If you truly got it once, you could pretty easily nip it in the bud by running bleach water in most things, replacing anything scratched, replacing your hoses, and make sure you are using a strong no-rinse sanitizer.

And also re-visiting your cleaning, sanitization and bottling procedures, maybe going over it with an experienced brewer....

Paul H,
I agree with revvy. It's really surprising to hear that you've had more infections than good batches. Personally, I've dumped 2 batches in the last 3 years. one was a lager that ended up fermenting around 60 degrees farenheit, and one was an ale that had severe mold growing on the top. and even those I regret dumping. I could've atleast racked the beer out from under the mold on the second one, and the first I should have tried coolling and leaving in the fermenter for a few week/months. I'm wondering if there's not some other off flavor that's making you think these are infected. If I was you I'd post some more detail about what you're tasting or take some bottles into your LHBS for a diagnosis - it's probably something in your recipes or brewing techniques that can be fixed.

See the other thread, no point bringing two threads off topic. But yeah, I have had a lot of infected beers despite me trying to sanatise eveything. I'm the long suffering HBer, still persisting because I have bugger all choice due to the prices of beer here. They definitely are infected though, despite liberal doses of bleach or starsan. There's no decent LHBS around here that are interested. But anyway, I'm on the issue and have changed multiple things.
Edit: none of my beers have been infected in the fermenter, they have all tasted good and have had no visible signs. My point is that some infections take a while to show, ie get worse with aging. My issue is either the unboiled water used in the brew, or the water/sugar used in priming isn't sanitised enough. I'd be quicker to blame the priming/botles etc, but the good brews had the same treatment, the only difference is the intial boiled water in the wort

After 11 days in the bottles, everything is cleared up and looks glorious... at least for a really simple SMaSH ale.

No more funk, no more floaties whatsoever.

And here i had gotten completely paranoid about my babies!

Thanks

Lucas

wow, I just learn more than I ever wanted to know about gross things and beer. Glad to hear you're back to healthy beer. :)

I came home today and took a look see in a 22oz and a 12oz bottle and on the bottom there is a fine layer of "stuff" that I assume is yeast and garbage.

We didn't use a secondary so when I got ready and moved the fermenter to the counter, it got a little shaken up and some loose sediment probably got mixed up..

I'm not going to worry about it myself.. I assumed it was normal as I've had a few store bought microbrews that were that way. Those bottles happened to be some of the better micro's we've had.

No worries unless a giant appendage grows out of one...

I came home today and took a look see in a 22oz and a 12oz bottle and on the bottom there is a fine layer of "stuff" that I assume is yeast and garbage.

We didn't use a secondary so when I got ready and moved the fermenter to the counter, it got a little shaken up and some loose sediment probably got mixed up..

I'm not going to worry about it myself.. I assumed it was normal as I've had a few store bought microbrews that were that way. Those bottles happened to be some of the better micro's we've had.

No worries unless a giant appendage grows out of one...

The "stuff" you see in the bottom is the flocculated yeast that fell after it finished carbing your beer, and anything it dragged down to the bottom (clearing it) during conditioning...It is something that you fine every bottle of bottle conditioned beers...it's a wonderful thing, it means your beer is alive as opposed to the dead beer that is called Budweiser, Miller, Coors, et all....

It is the "mold" or in reality the bottle krauzen, that you saw at the top of your beer, after it was finished making magic.

The Belgians call it living beer!

When you add priming sugar to the beer and bottle it, you reactivate the yeast and it ferments out the sugar you just added. This is to create CO2 and carbonate the beer. But when they are done, they have to go somewhere, just like they did in your primary fermenter. That's the layer of stuff on the bottom of all bottle conditioned beer.

For gods sake man get some decently tanned bottles. And don't put them in the sun for photgraphy. Incandecent and a flash will do.

I've poured that stuff into the glass by accident (after a few 6.1%, heh) and I'm still alive though I do have more hair on my chest. :tank:

Latest posts

Back