sediment in the bottles...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deranged_hermit

Reaction score
i bottled my Irish Red Ale a few days ago. and i checked on them today and noticed that settled at the bottom of the bottles was a white sedimentary substance. what could this be? and is it supposed to be there. i thought about it maybe being the sugars or yeast that are still in the beer. i cleaned and sanitized all of my bottles thoroughly, so i'm pretty sure its not other gunk that was previously in the bottle.

It's just some spent yeast at the bottom, which is a byproduct of carbonation. Seeing it is a good sign... :)

Just be careful when pouring into a glass to leave it behind.

The sign of a real ale that is!
Depending on the style of the Ale I don't worry about getting it in the glass. It doesn't do anything for clarity but it can help taste if you like a yeasty brew.
It's also good for you. Helps prevent hang overs believe it or not. Vit B5

should i let the bottles sit with the sediment in it? or should i swirl that up. i'm sure that will compromise the clairity, but will it result in better carbonation?

Just let them sit, swirling will speed carbonation up a little, but it won't make any difference in the aging process.

Sediment = bottle conditioned People pay extra for that!

Back