What goes best with bambi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got the years first doe last week, and I can't help but wonder... what beer goes best with bambi? :tank:

13248-DoeNo1.JPG

depends on how you prepare her

sauteed tenderloins go with something like a american pale

roasts go better with browns and porters

enjoy her ive only seen three so far this year but a kid hunting the same property got his first deer ever (6 pointer)

eriktlupus said:
enjoy her ive only seen three so far this year but a kid hunting the same property got his first deer ever (6 pointer)

I'm looking forward to getting out more. I'm a landscaper by trade, and I hunt a sod farm right here in the Minneapolis area. The DNR will let you take an unlimited amount of antlerless deer in the metro area zone. There also happens to be a big 8 - 10 pointer I've seen twice now. I'll take him if he gets close. I just need to get back out there.

:ban:

We had some deer recently and we drank some Polygamy Porter with it. It seemed like a nice pairing.

Bambi stew, fresh bread and a porter.

I was reading yesterday, that there are so many deer on the East Coast, some states have limits as high as 12 per hunter per season. Since most hunters don't want that much meat, there are programs setup so you can pass the carcass to soup kitchens.

Is that a brew kettle on the top of the pile of stuff in your truck bed, on the left?!
Since the taste of venison does so well in chili, maybe a beer that goes well w/chili would be a good start -- a nice clean lager or APA or maybe.... lawnmower beer or "mexican cerveza"...

david_42 said:
Bambi stew, fresh bread and a porter.

I was reading yesterday, that there are so many deer on the East Coast, some states have limits as high as 12 per hunter per season. Since most hunters don't want that much meat, there are programs setup so you can pass the carcass to soup kitchens.

Not here in PA though. We have a serious issue in many counties. The solution being proposed by the Game Commission: "We don't want to burden the hunters" was one of the purported statements, and they are planning on possibly releasing more predators. Yeah GREAT IDEA. Gets me :mad:

LouT said:
Is that a brew kettle on the top of the pile of stuff in your truck bed, on the left?!

Nope! It's a black plastic bucket I put bundgie cords in. But that question led me down a string of thoughts and questions that eventually led to an idea: A mobile brew haus! I have access to an old trailer... the covered kind. How neat would it be to have all your brew gear staged, 100lb propane tank on the front... drive it to your buddies place to brew for the day... then next week to a different place...Hmmmm Sorry for the online daydreaming fellas... it all stems from a conversation with the SWMBO last night... Did you know that there is such a thing as extreme home brewing? Cause the SWMBO thinks I've taken it to the extreme... too much time brewing... too many friends over brewing... too much time on this website... Did I mention my SWMBO doesn't drink beer? Ahhh - this too, shall pass. I hope. :confused:

I say make sliced tenderloin and sliced heart fried in a skillet with onions, mushrooms and butter. Side of scrambled eggs and an ice cold pilsner.

Kieva said:
I say make sliced tenderloin and sliced heart fried in a skillet with onions, mushrooms and butter. Side of scrambled eggs and an ice cold pilsner.

I think I can do that... Sounds good, and I saved the heart too!

Nice! Good job getting a doe to. Too many people are all about the points and usually don't mount it anyways. IMO doe tastes better, usually it's more tender as well.

How is the bambi in MN? I ask because since moving to Maine, I've had some venison from here (not my own, haven't gotten one yet...), and it was really a gamey tasting meat. I grew up in Ohio, and with all the farmland around there, the venison was cornfed, and had the taste of spicey beef.

I think I may have to go back to OH next year and bag one there...

edit: As far as a recipe, see my sig... ;)

z987k said:
Nice! Good job getting a doe to. Too many people are all about the points and usually don't mount it anyways. IMO doe tastes better, usually it's more tender as well.

Not me... I hunt the metro area - unlimited antlerless. If it's brown, it's down! I don't think I'd pass up a strong 8 or a 10, but I'm out there for meat and keeping them off the streets.

As far as the taste of the MN deer... wild fed can get gamey at times, but the corn fed deer are the best!

Seabee John said:
Nope! It's a black plastic bucket I put bundgie cords in. But that question led me down a string of thoughts and questions that eventually led to an idea: A mobile brew haus! I have access to an old trailer... the covered kind. How neat would it be to have all your brew gear staged, 100lb propane tank on the front... drive it to your buddies place to brew for the day... then next week to a different place...Hmmmm Sorry for the online daydreaming fellas... it all stems from a conversation with the SWMBO last night... Did you know that there is such a thing as extreme home brewing? Cause the SWMBO thinks I've taken it to the extreme... too much time brewing... too many friends over brewing... too much time on this website... Did I mention my SWMBO doesn't drink beer? Ahhh - this too, shall pass. I hope. :confused:
look for an episode of "monster garage" on tlc. they converted an old fire engine into a 5 bbl system:rockin:

Latest posts

Back