pale/wheat extract safeale 05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewhoner

Reaction score
I have enough extra doing nothing in my fridge. I'd have to combine to get an og of at least 1.50. so, I was thnking of a pale just to use it.

what should i expect with dry pale & wheat malt and an non wheat beer yeast? crap or a worthwhile experiment?

Oh, that would be an "American wheat". I have made several- one was a "watermelon wheat" that I added 2 cups of pureed watermelon to in secondary.

But you can do a nice American wheat, with many different hops. You could go citrusy with cascade, centennial or amarillo, or "clean" with noble hops. You could even go with some "earthy" willamette or fuggles, or use EKG for an English hop note in the American wheat.

You have lots of choices!

Lots of folks have made the blue moon clone with US05 (myself included and I LOVE IT!!). But its all about perception. Using that yeast you may not get that yeasty flavor you would get as if you were drinking a hefe. So like Yooper said you can experiment with other items in the beer cause they will not get covered up.

Yes, wheat and US-05 can make a great beer. If you can get Amarillo hops, you can do a Gumballhead clone (WIPA). I like Perle and wheat.

Back