Fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swhitt

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been trying to diagnose my issues with bad tasting beer. Water left to sit alone in the room is about 72 degrees. However, I just took the temperature of the wort in my fermenter (bubbling away quite merrily). It's 82-83 degrees. This is above the recommended temperature for the yeast - am I screwed?

Steve

you're not screwed. you'll get some off tastes...really fruity, ester tastes. and it will generate alot of fusel alcohols, which won't taste as good and will give you a helluva hangover if you drink enough of it.

It will still be drinkable and might even make a relatively good beer, but you could definitely make a better one.

try to cool the temperature as much as you can for now, and invest in a fermentation chiller for future use.

what type of beer is it and what yeast are you using?

I just realized that I have a digital controller I can use for a fridge. I could store the carboy in a fridge. Do you guys know of a good fridge that would fit a 5-6gallon carboy with an airlock on top that's pretty cheap?

which is fine! those are the best anyway, IMO :D

but you'll still want it under 75 no matter what ;)

most my beers i brew at 70 or below, i like the cleaner, crisper flavors and the spiciness versus the fruitiness, esters, bananas, etc. from higher temperatures.

Just plop your carboy into a bit rubbermaid container, fill with a small amount of water and add some ice. I have been about to effectively keep my fermenting brews at 68 or below by adding a few trays (3-4) each day. If I didn't add the water and ice it would be around 76-78. It isn't the easiest to always remember about, but it does work!

Back