Help whats gone wrong ??!?!??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpien222

Reaction score
I have done a gallon batch of rhubarb wine and followed it to the letter bar one thing I used champagne yeast instead of white wine yeast I am supposed to be bottling today but it appears to have carbonated it's self is this possible it hasn't been pressurized it's just been in the Demi John with an airlock on I have poured a little in to a glass and tried it and it's definately got some fizz to it what should I do if I just leave it should the fizz just disappear ?? Any help would be gratefully received.

Degass the wine. Stir it but make sure you don't bring in oxygen..

Right, stir for a couple of minutes and you should be good to go.

I just bottled some Syrah that tasted bubbly, once I degassed it tasted great!

Thanks for the advice guys I will give it a go any idea why it has done it in the first place though ?

CO2 is created during fermentation. It dissolves pretty easily, so it stays with the liquid. That's why you have to stir it to allow it to escape.

Just something you'll have to do when you get ready to bottle.

One thing to consider is that the wine degasses on its own with some time. If it's so bubbly, it may be a bit early to bottle. Even if your instructions say to bottle within a certain time, that's usually not correct. You bottle it when it's perfectly clear, no longer dropping any lees at all, and not gassy.

You can mechanically degas by stirring, as was mentioned. But if you're rushing the wine to the bottle, better results will happen if you simply wait.

Back