Batch fermented out. Hydrometer reading of 1008 instead of 1006. Should I re-pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverAnalyst

Reaction score
As title says. Kit says it should drop to 1006, but it's stopped dead at 1008. Is it worth trying to get it to ferment more?

Nope! Secondary or bottle and get started on your next batch! :) FG's are estimates, it's fairly rare you'll actually hit it dead on. As long as it isn't WAY off you're good to go.

How long has it been fermenting? How long has it been stopped at 1.008?

chances are it is finished.

FSR402 said:
Whouldn't that depend on where it started from?

Nope. Regardless of where you started you are finishing with a very low specific gravity indicating very low unfermented sugars. The beer will have very little sweetness to it hence "dry".

Got Trub? said:
Nope. Regardless of where you started you are finishing with a very low specific gravity indicating very low unfermented sugars. The beer will have very little sweetness to it hence "dry".
Ok I think I get it.
I have been really into wine and in that world dry means more ABV.

FSR402 said:
Ok I think I get it.
I have been really into wine and in that world dry means more ABV.

Pretty sure "dry" means "less residual sugar" in the world of wine, too. In other words, not sweet. Dry would correlate with higher ABV if you were talking about two beers (or two wines) that started at the same gravity...maybe the correlation is higher with wine b/c there's less variation in the starting gravities?

I did notice that the beer is quite bitter, more than any larger I've ever had before, and it tastes like it's had a drip of vodca dropped into each pint. I don't know the OG as my hydrometer came after it had been fermenting for a while.

*edit* It's still great to drink though!

Bike N Brew said:
Pretty sure "dry" means "less residual sugar" in the world of wine, too. In other words, not sweet. Dry would correlate with higher ABV if you were talking about two beers (or two wines) that started at the same gravity...maybe the correlation is higher with wine b/c there's less variation in the starting gravities?
Yes, this is why I said that I thought it would depend on where it started.
If his beer started at a 1.060 and made it all the way down to 1.008. That would be a 6.7% and VERY dry beer.

FSR402 said:
Yes, this is why I said that I thought it would depend on where it started.
If his beer started at a 1.060 and made it all the way down to 1.008. That would be a 6.7% and VERY dry beer.

Yes, because it's at 1.008, not because it's 6.7% ABV. It doesn't depend on where it started.
1.030 --> 1.004 = 3.4% ABV and dry
1.130 --> 1.040 = 11.8% ABV and not dry at all

Bike N Brew said:
Yes, because it's at 1.008, not because it's 6.7% ABV. It doesn't depend on where it started.
1.030 --> 1.004 = 3.4% ABV and dry
1.130 --> 1.040 = 11.8% ABV and not dry at all

Yes I understand all that... But he does not know where he started from. Lets say that he started at 1.02 or 1.015 (yes I know, most likely not) then it would not really be dry, it would be water. Very soft but not sweat and not really leaving a dry feeling in your mouth.

Back