Hurricane IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.8 gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Tasting Notes
Balanced and fanstastic
My first balanced IPA - usually they are all hopped up (which is how I like'em) but this time for whatever reason I decided to ease up a bit. It is a surprisingly drinkable beer despite it being almost 8% ABV. I started with the notion of a simple grain bill and easily obtainable (and relatively inexpensive) hops. The Pilgrim bittering addition was what was around and can be substituted for any smooth bittering hop of the same AA %

14.25 lbs Maris Otter
12 oz medium British crystal (50-60 SRM)
8 oz cane sugar
7 grams Gypsum in the boil

Mashed at 152 f

1 oz Pilgrim 10.2% AA @ 60 mins
1 oz Cascade 5.4% @ 35 mins
0.5 oz Cascade @5 mins
1.5 oz Chinook 10% AA @ 5 mins
0.5 oz Cascade @1 mins
1.5 oz Centennial 9.2% AA @ 1 mins

1 oz each Centennial, Chinook, and Amarillo dry hop 14 days cold. Second "fermentation" was really just 2 weeks at 36ish F. I kept it there till I had room in my keggerator and it worked out very well, nice hoppy aroma, very clear beer.

This was brewed during Hurricane Irene. Fortunately nothing too terrible happened - I lost power for a short period, and a big tree fell but it just missed the house! The worst thing was I got an incredible dose of poison ivy from cutting up the tree and hauling the logs wrapped in PI (yes I am an idiot) away. nasty **** that stuff, the scars have messed up one of my sleeves...!

Back