Difference in Base Grains when buying in Bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdoiv

Reaction score
TheJadedDog's thread on buying in bulk got me interested in the potential cost savings of going the same route. Here's my question.

What is the differences in the various Base grains? Most of my recipes call for American 2 Row as a base malt though some call for either British, French of Belgium. What is the difference between the malts and can I get away with using one instead of the others. Will it affect the flavor of the recipe or are there any modifications to a recipe I should make if I make a substitution? I know from looking at Promash that potential SG numbers vary, but if I adjust the amounts slightly I can make up the difference. Is there a difference in taste or performance that I should be aware of?

Just curious. Based upon my recipes, I should have American and British 2 row on hand and should be able to see substantial savings. Be nice to only have to carry one though.

jdoiv

I think that since it doesn't make sense to have two sacks on hand, you'd probably be better off with Maris Otter over American. I know a lot of folks consider Maris the premium 2-row. I just can't get through 100 lbs before it starts going stale.

Back