07.07.07 Recipe discussion thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So what do we want to create this year?

I'd recommend we keep it at a few parameters so we know we'll have time to get it finished by June--that means testing and more testing to get it right! I think the paramaters should be < 1.070 OG, and maybe a few more....but let's leave that open for discussion too!

Let's hear the ideas for a style, then let's get cracking on a recipe!

This will be my first time taking part in the 0X-0X-0X brew, but I'd like to see something hoppy-heavy. Ha, well, I guess that's not too much as far as parameters go.
-Ben

Do you feel lucky?

I think a nicely hopped small beer (based on a Mild recipe) would be good for the summer.

If it's like winning at the slots, it should be light and fizzy, almost like champagne - celebratory, I think, is the word that comes to mind.

I'd agree; I'm hoping to be lagering in a couple months, but I don't know for certain. Best to leave it open to as many people as possible.

So, a light, clean APA? What makes it special (rhetorical question)?

I can lager now...but honestly I have no desire to do a lager. I thought about doing a swill type Corona clone with the White Labs Mexican Lager yeast for this summer though. That would be cool.

Anyway...how about a honey pale ale?

You thinking something pretty dry, or with a little bit of malt character coming through? Maybe a little bit of Vienna malt for some extra backbone?

Dude said:
Anyway...how about a honey pale ale?

Hmm, I usually don't like honey in beer, but it's usually in a brown ale - and that's not my favorite style so... this sounds good!

2oz of honey malt and Sorachi dry-hop - Breakfast beer!

the_bird said:
Last year's recipe was what, big and hoppy and smoked and oaked?
It was too much, that's what it was.:) I still have some leftover that I can only convince people to try once. They never come back for seconds! The oak chips were overwhelming, IMO.

I vote for something simple, like an APA, with maybe one twist - be it a type of hop, grain, adjunct, etc.

Great topic. I was just thinking of this today. I do like the gold thing and somehow correlating 7's in the ingredients like David stated. I didn't participate in 06 so shall in 07!

Rhoobarb said:
It was too much, that's what it was.:) I still have some leftover that I can only convince people to try once. They never come back for seconds! The oak chips were overwhelming, IMO.

I vote for something simple, like an APA, with maybe one twist - be it a type of hop, grain, adjunct, etc.

I talked to the hottie at the LHBS about that and she said that it is REALLY easy to overdo the oak chips, and it is a real common mistake. It only takes a small amount and don't leave them in long.

A pale or red ale is my suggestion, but with something unique (and I am not experienced enough to say exactly what) to make it stand out from the typical ones. 7-7-07, is likely to be the day I leave Hawaii to move back to WA as well, so this brew will remind me of that as well.

david_42 said:
Seven secret herbs and spices!

Or maybe just seven hop adds.

Maybe we could just add colonol sanders.

What about something from the garden? A little rosemary or juniper berries. They used heather back in the day before hops.

99expo said:
how about something fruity and smooth.....blueberry pale ale?

I was thinking of fruit as I was typing up my post, but don't know how many people actually like fruit beers. I can't remember any commercial ones I have tried in the past, but I have been thinking of making something with blueberries and chocolate.

I still want to give the green tea a shot in a brew as well, but I am thinking of something like a gallon minimum of tea. Tea is a good summer thing too, but again probably not something that most would like in a beer.

What comes to mind for me is some type of lawnmower beer. An APA would be great- or really anything light in color without tons of heavy maltiness.

I'm not much for putting things (berries, flavors, strange ingredients) into beer, but maybe in moderation I could try it.

Torben Ulrich said:
7 lbs pale malt
.7 lbs crystal
.7 ounces low aa bitter hop
Prime w/ honey

Too mathy?

I like this idea but the hops just won't be enough.
Oh, and isn't "no fruit in beer" a man law?

How about
7 lbs pale malt
.7 lbs crystal
7 additions of .25oz hops in 10 minute intervals?

Yooper Chick said:
What comes to mind for me is some type of lawnmower beer. An APA would be great- or really anything light in color without tons of heavy maltiness.
I agree.

Yooper Chick said:
I'm not much for putting things (berries, flavors, strange ingredients) into beer, but maybe in moderation I could try it.
Oh come on. Lets make banana beer! I can see it now... 7 Banana beer...:ban:

OK maybe not.

I would like it to be a fairly strait forward beer without any fancy stuff in it. The 7 additions of hops at .25oz sounds interesting.

I really liked the idea of a nice, light yet hoppy APA... with a "special" adjunct. Keeping it simple, yet at the same time, sophisticated.
-Ben

I like the idea of either a Summer Hefe, or a nice Pale Ale.

If a Pale Ale is picked, and the suggestion of a Honey Pale is the one, my opinion is to use honey malt and not regular honey.

how bout a bud light clone............

just kidding take it easy. I like the sound of a honey pale ale

Latest posts

Back