First PM - have a couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bce22

Reaction score
Good Day everyone:

I will be doing a partial mash recipe for the first time this weekend and I have a couple of questions that I am sure that you can help me with. I will be doing this on my kitchen using a couple of BKs.

I have a question about Mash out and one about sparging.

About Mashout: Is there any benefit to doing a mashout for 10 to 15 minutes between 160-170F after conversion and before placing the grain bag in the sparge water?

About Sparging: Would there be any reason to fiilter the initial wort through the grains again (say the grain bag was sitting in a strainer above the sparge water that you soaked the grains in for 10 minutes) when adding to your sparge? Would the risk of hot-side aeration outway an increase in efficiency?

No to both questions.

A mash out is helpful for fly sparging, since it lasts a long time and you want to bring the grainbed up to 168 to stop conversion. For batch sparging or PM, I don't think there would be any benefit at all to a mash out. Just bring the sparge water a bit hotter, so that the grainbed is at 168 during the sparge.

No to rinsing with the wort. The point of the sparge is to rinse the grains of available sugars. Pouring wort over the grain would cause LESS sugars to flow into the wort due to the principle of diffusion.

Back