Question on a Bock recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
found this recipe on the internet: Chocolate Bock http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator?group=35&item=1300 and brewed 2.5 gallons
1 lb. German Pilsner
1 lb. German Munich
.5 lb. British crystal 135-165L
.5 lb. Belgian chocolate
Steep: Steep grains at 168° for 30 minutes. Sparge with same quality water at 168°.
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.175 2 gallons
2 lb. Amber malt extract
6 lb. Dark malt extract
Hops: 1 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker (5% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker (aroma)
Yeast: Use dry Windsor Ale yeast

I brewed it this weekend but with the windsor ale yeast would this be a stout rather than a Bock? It smells looks and takes good and I'm a fan of porters and sweet stouts so either way I can't wait until it is bottled but was just wondering

It'll probably be somewhere between the two. A bock is a lager, so yeah, the ale yeast isn't right. and bocks aren't very high in IBU's so they are usually hopped with just Halletauer hops. But the malt bill looks more like a bock than a porter or stout. those usuall have some black patent or roasted barley for a stronger roasted taste. But it'll still be a mighty fine beer, I'm sure!

Between a Bock and a Stout is Good for me, actually cant wait to try it. I did a 2.5 gal batch and lowered the IBU by using .3 oz NB in the 2.5G. in the future I may try it as a split batch with both the windsor and with Baverian lager yeast to see the difference. Thanks for the quick reply.

Back