Bottles have too much sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowabeerguy

Reaction score
I have a batch of Pumpkin Ale that I am going to enter in a local competition, but somehow they ended up with excess sediment. Any ideas on how to re-bottle them and remove the sediment?

How much sediment are we talking? I don't see how you would be able to rack off the sediment in bottles without significant work. You'd have to get a small hose, rack two bottles into one, reprime and carb, wait at least 3 weeks while they carb up again, and worry about oxidation the entire time.

I'm not even sure if they judge by sediment in the bottle, actually.

How much sediment are we talking? I don't see how you would be able to rack off the sediment in bottles without significant work. You'd have to get a small hose, rack two bottles into one, reprime and carb, wait at least 3 weeks while they carb up again, and worry about oxidation the entire time.

I'm not even sure if they judge by sediment in the bottle, actually.

That pretty much sums up all of my thoughts and fears - but it does raise the better question. All of this hard work and effort will only produce a clearer, but almost unavoidably oxidized beer. Do judges base their scores on sediment amounts? There's not a lot, but there are a few floaters in the beer.

i was under the impression if you're going to competitions that you better have a clear bear with now sediment. might be time for a filtration system.

i was under the impression if you're going to competitions that you better have a clear bear with now sediment. might be time for a filtration system.

Homebrew generally has sediment- at least the beers that are bottle conditioned. Judges won't take away points for something that is expected.

Homebrew generally has sediment- at least the beers that are bottle conditioned. Judges won't take away points for something that is expected.

Thanks - I'll put it in as is - it's only $3.50 per entry, so this will be a great first competition experience.

If there's not a lot of sediment in the bottom of the bottles anyways, then you'd go through all that work to.... get more sediment in the bottle. It's going to happen with bottle conditioned beer. I wouldn't worry about it.

Back