Oxygenation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstar26t

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Reaction score
I'm putting together an inline oxygenation system very much like the one in the DIY using this system as the platform with a .5 micron stone. The O2 will be injected into the wort at the outlet of the CFC. Is there a standard practice used when doing this? Open the valve fully for 60 seconds or more depending on OG? I don't have a DO meter so I'm hoping to work off someone else's experience.
Thanks for any help.

Edit: this is for 6.25 gallons into the fermenter

I've seen the guidelines on Wyeast's website but that is for submersing the stone into the fermenter. If introducing the O2 inline, I would think that it doesn't distribute as well? Less O2 flow over a longer time may be necessary?

I would agree with dstar26t. I use a .5 micron stone at the bottom of the full fermenter with an oxygen bottle. Well before you can even "open the valve fully" way too much foam is created and it will flow out of the fermenter. I found about 2psi works great. I found this by turning the O2 up too much then dialing it back until no bubbles appeared at the top of the fermenter. I realize you're doing it inline and you could probably do the same thing: turn up the O2 until you see bubbles rising out of your fermenter then turn it down until just after they stop.

Also, I don't use any standard time for how long I aerate. Usually between 30 seconds to 2 minutes. It is possible to over aerate, but I think that would require a retarded amount of time (30mins?).

"Get a decent dual stage O2 regulator (pricey) that can be adjusted to 1psi and aerate for the duration of x-fer."

Is this for any style beer? Seems like a broad statement. I appreciate the specific pressure though, I like to brew by the numbers.

"Get a decent dual stage O2 regulator (pricey) that can be adjusted to 1psi and aerate for the duration of x-fer."

Is this for any style beer? Seems like a broad statement. I appreciate the specific pressure though, I like to brew by the numbers.

You want specificity (sp)? Your gonna have to get a DO meter.

As for me, I'll keep with my non-specific method of inline at 1psi for duration of x-fer, save my cash, and be happy with my 2 to 4 hour lags times using dry, pitched appropriately, yeast.

For the record,

I don't think I have ever seen specified Gravity = X ppm O2
_________________________________Cell #

I bought a new-old-stock, single gauge, medical O2 regulator off eBay for ~$25 with free shipping. So that's cheaper than most or all CO2 regulators I've seen.

I bought a new-old-stock, single gauge, medical O2 regulator off eBay for ~$25 with free shipping. So that's cheaper than most or all CO2 regulators I've seen.

Great! The hard part is getting a medical bottle filled without a prescription, or getting a doc to write a script for O2 so's you can use it for beer. Lest he's family or your neighbor.

Great! The hard part is getting a medical bottle filled without a prescription, or getting a doc to write a script for O2 so's you can use it for beer. Lest he's family or your neighbor.

I didn't have to do any of that. I got an O2 tank off (you guessed it) eBay and stopped by the nearest Airgas and had them fill it. Everything was exactly the same as getting a CO2 tank filled. I'm pretty sure it's a welding tank though which evidently makes a difference. Sounds like another retarded bureaucratic regulation to me. O2 is O2 regardless of what type of container it's in!

As for me, I'll keep with my non-specific method of inline at 1psi for duration of x-fer, save my cash, and be happy with my 2 to 4 hour lags times using dry, pitched appropriately, yeast.

I got an industrial tank and a regulator that adjusts flow (Lpm). Any idea what 1 psi would equate to in Lpm? I'm assuming the lowest setting of .12 Lpm would do it for the duration of transfer through the cfc. Maybe I'll hook up a pressure gauge on the regulator.

dstar,
That would depend on the back-pressure (or resistance if you will). Imagine if your stone was really, really clogged up with gunk (i.e. more back-pressure/resistance)...it would take a lot more pressure to get 1 LPM than if the stone were not clogged.

I found 2 independent sources showing breweries using 3.5 Lpm for 30 min for a 20 bbl batch which would equate to .12 Lpm for ~10 min for my 6.25 gal batches, all at ale pitching temps. I'll start with that and adjust from there.

I got an industrial tank and a regulator that adjusts flow (Lpm). Any idea what 1 psi would equate to in Lpm? I'm assuming the lowest setting of .12 Lpm would do it for the duration of transfer through the cfc. Maybe I'll hook up a pressure gauge on the regulator.
Where did you get the tank and regulator from?

Ebay my friend

tank

regulator, this one doesn't go down to .12 Lpm though

I didn't go with the typical berzomatic set-up from many LHBSs because it's not a real regulator, more like a valve. It flows too much for an inline set-up.

Back