Help Before pitching yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RileyJA

Reaction score
Ok. So it is my first All Grain brewing session with new equipment. I missed my post boil by 3/4 of a gallon of beer. My final pitching temp is not there yet so I don't have a final gravity to take yet. Will I need to add some distilled water or do I just live with what I have?

I have topped off my beers to get to 5 or 5.5 gallons with no issues at all. Just be sure to either stir gently to mix or shake to aerate well before pitching the yeast. I do, however, use spring water for my brews.

I have done this once and just left it. Depends if you care if your beer is stronger than you wanted.

So the first reading was 1.062 and the final was 1.091 There is something really wrong here. I assume I need to add at least a gallon of distilled water correct?

Is 1.062 preboil and 1.091 post boil? That's a huge swing. Too much boil time or measured gravity with hot wort?

Both readings are at 70. I guess my pre boil volume was not enough. I really didn't have a way to measure. I assumed that brewers friend gave me the correct mash volume. Live and learn. Ill add the gallon and move on and hope it turns out ok.
I've already activated the smack pack.

Both readings are at 70. I guess my pre boil volume was not enough. I really didn't have a way to measure. I assumed that brewers friend gave me the correct mash volume. Live and learn. Ill add the gallon and move on and hope it turns out ok.
I've already activated the smack pack.

Make yourself a dowel marked w/ volumes by the gallon using hot water. This will give you a means of measuring your pre & post boil volumes.
I use a square dowel and use different sides (& colors) for various kettles.
You also need to determine your boil off rate to have better control of your process. Fill your BK w/ 5-6 gal of hot water using your measuring stick. Boil (rolling) for an hour & then measure your volume again. The difference is your boil off rate. Keep in mind this can vary w/ humidity, etc. Use this info to set up your equipment profile in whatever your brew software of choice might be.
Last, keep a few gallon bottles of spring water on hand to adjust volumes as needed.

Make yourself a dowel marked w/ volumes by the gallon using hot water. This will give you a means of measuring your pre & post boil volumes.
I use a square dowel and use different sides (& colors) for various kettles.
You also need to determine your boil off rate to have better control of your process. Fill your BK w/ 5-6 gal of hot water using your measuring stick. Boil (rolling) for an hour & then measure your volume again. The difference is your boil off rate. Keep in mind this can vary w/ humidity, etc. Use this info to set up your equipment profile in whatever your brew software of choice might be.
Last, keep a few gallon bottles of spring water on hand to adjust volumes as needed.

Thanks for the advice! The wife and I tasted the beer and it has great flavor. A little thick but drinkable.
We will just have to wait and see.

Latest posts

Back