Saison fermentation, help needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba70665

Reaction score
After a trip to belgium i've been inspired to brew some of their traditional ales, and will start this week with a saison. I bought the lawnmower de saison from Midwest supplies. In the past, my main concern with fermentation was keeping the bucket cool enough, using ice baths and such.

I've read that saisons will have be better with a warmer fermentation though, and unfortunately where i live is just in that range of too hot for a pale ale and too cool for a saison. Its about 75-80 during the day and gets down to about 68 at night. Do i need to do anything to keep this warmer during fermentation? Ive read that 85-90 is a good temp.

Any advice will help! thanks

That will be fine for your Saison. Beers generate an immense amount of heat during the vigorous fermentation. So much so, that the temp will be 8 to 10 degree above ambient. Your range is no problem for a Saison.

RDWHAHB.

Back