Can you use a dry yeast with a Cream Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
Title pretty much sums it up. I'm wondering if anyone's tried a cream ale having used a dry yeast such as Nottingham. Will that work, or does a cream ale really need a little extra flavor from the yeast, a little zing if you will? Or at least, perhaps, a little cloudiness. Thoughts?

I've got one going with Safale S-05, so I sure as hell hope it can be done.:mug:

Jamil calls for WLP001 in his, so the S-05 should be fine. Nottingham would be fine too. Both of those will give a nice clean flavor and attenuate well.

Title pretty much sums it up. I'm wondering if anyone's tried a cream ale having used a dry yeast such as Nottingham. Will that work, or does a cream ale really need a little extra flavor from the yeast, a little zing if you will? Or at least, perhaps, a little cloudiness. Thoughts?

Not a problem at all, note BierMuncher's cream ale uses safeale 05
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=66503

I just did one with Safale 05 and it is good. Next time I might try adding Saflager S-23 as well as Safale 05 to see how that works.

Absolutely you can use a dry yeast ... I make a cream corn ale frequently and always use dry S-05.

nottingham and ferment as low as you can. it will turn out quite clean and won't have the subtle fruit notes and sulfur you get from WLP080, but it will be a nice lawnmower ale.

Back