How to figure ABV when adding ingredients to during secondary fermetation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debkid

Reaction score
How do you figure the ABV when you add further fermentables when starting the secondary fermentation.
MY OG was 1. 80 and the SG at racking was 1.010.. but I added 1 14.5 oz can of tart cherries at secondary.. I Probably should have taken a SG of it after the cherry addition.. but since I didn't.. any ideas as to how to figure this??

Deb

debkid said:
How do you figure the ABV when you add further fermentables when starting the secondary fermentation.
MY OG was 1. 80 and the SG at racking was 1.010.. but I added 1 14.5 oz can of tart cherries at secondary.. I Probably should have taken a SG of it after the cherry addition.. but since I didn't.. any ideas as to how to figure this??

Deb

Were the cherries, cherrie puree? if so i got the site for you, check this out

http://frontpage.erie.net/bierhaus/purees.htm

But if you just want to know then if the cherry's were puree your alcohol in the finished product will be 8.4% if it ferments back to 1.010. If it ferments lower than that, then the alcohol will be higher. Cheers

Brix is basically percent sugar. If we assume whole pitted cherries have the same sugar content as puree, then you are looking at 14.5 oz. time 23%, 3.3 oz. of sugar @ 46 points per pound per gallon. (9.5 points/# of gallons) Figure 8 points SG to 1% ABV. If this is a one gallon batch, you'll add about 1.1 % ABV, in a five gallon batch about 0.2

first a correction.. my OG was 1.082 ...

ok.. so for a 3 gallon batch.. the cherries would add about .37% to my ABV? and assuming it goes back to the 1.010 SG.. then I'm looking at just a bit under 10%

Back