chiller from hell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That actually looks like a hot side aeration experiment instead of a whirlpool. It's still potentially a myth, but I guess you'll find out if you store some of that brew for a while.

Bobby_M said:
That actually looks like a hot side aeration experiment instead of a whirlpool. It's still potentially a myth, but I guess you'll find out if you store some of that brew for a while.

I figured it was no big deal because of Palmers' how to brew book
Palmer said:
The splashing of hot wort before the boil can cause long term oxidation damage to the flavor of the beer.
I assume that post boil oxidation (hot or cold) is ok. The boil itself releases o2 out of the wort and into the air, we cool immediately and add o2 right back in. Maybe someone with vastly more experience can lend some knowledge to this discussion?

Seabee John said:
Well folks the long awaited experiment has been done. I built the new chiller. 3/4" inlet/outlet w/ 18 - 1/4"ID tubes at 28" long. Nicksteck and I had a good old fashioned "chill off" between his monster and mine. He came out ahead. 212+ down to 68 in under 4 minutes with the assistance of circulated ice bath under 100 deg and a mixing paddle. I was from 212+ down to 68 in under 7 minutes with the ice bath under 100 and a mixing paddle.

here are the pics... win or lose it was great fun!

13248-chill1.JPG

13248-chill2.JPG

13248-chill3.JPG

Seabea, how did your joints soldered to the upright stand up to stress? I'm really concerned about the perceived weakness there. There is very little contact surface area that I can see between the two copper pieces. Basically no more than the thickness of the upright pipe. With all those connections, I see a serious potential for leaks into the wort.

I posted this in the electronic section today as well, but I have been reading a bunch about chiller ideas. I want to know if just leaving a mini fridge intact but running the wort through a coil inside the fridge would work or not. Seems to me that I can get the mini fridge to 32 degrees but I dont know if I run hot wort through it if it will heat the whole thing up faster than it can preform the exchange. Any Ideas?

A minifridge definitely does not have the ability to chill a 5 gallon batch from boiling to pitching temps. It's job is to remove the smallest bit of heat out of the box every time it runs. Once in a while you put a room temp bottle of soda in there and it has to cycle again. The heat load of a batch is like having to freeze 40 pounds of water into ice.

more pics

13248-chill5.JPG

I need some help here - I can't understand what the inner two uprights are. Whats the flow pattern in the pic?

I'm thinking from the inlet on the right, to the inner vertical on the left, back around to the inner vertical on the right, then back to the outlet on the left.

Yeah? Maybe?

Good effing God man. Way to overkill! Love it!

Go BIG or go HOME!

EDIT: I love it when old threads get dug up... I'm blown away by how much I've learned in three years of brewing. I still use this chiller on every batch, and I've never had to repair it, even though its taken a hard knock or two... I've flirted with the idea of switching to a CFC, more so just to have the experience of building one, but the chiller I have keeps working well so why mess with it. I did ditch the whole paint paddle in a drill for a march pump to recirculate the wort though...

I need some help here - I can't understand what the inner two uprights are. Whats the flow pattern in the pic?

I'm thinking from the inlet on the right, to the inner vertical on the left, back around to the inner vertical on the right, then back to the outlet on the left.

Yeah? Maybe?

Huff,
the idea is that the first water to enter is the last to leave and vice versa.. this would (in theory) cause the water to flow through the manifold at the same rate regardless of the position of the pipe

Huff,
the idea is that the first water to enter is the last to leave and vice versa.. this would (in theory) cause the water to flow through the manifold at the same rate regardless of the position of the pipe

I guess I asked that badly.... :eek:

I think I figured it out though. I missed that the inlet and outlet were U shaped. I see what's going on now.

Excellent work.

Back