Bacon beer?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrbetz

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out a recipe for a bacon blonde. But I'm having trouble with how to add the bacon? I don't want the grease in my beer but I don't want to use fake bacon. Any ideas?!

There is a bacon porter recipe under the porter section in recipes he soaks 6 slices of paper towel patted down pieces of bacon in vodka overnight then scrapes the bacon grease off and adds it to his mort. Hope that's the answer you were looking for. I've never used bacon in beer myself but good luck and let me know how it turns out. Cheers

I would start by looking at those threads labeled bacon beer, in the similar threads box below. There are 100's of threads on here about it.

You can also infuse bourbon with bacon as I show in this thread, and add that to the beer, for example to make a bacon bourbon stout. The process removes all the fat from the bourbon....even more points if you cure your own bacon...extra credit if you make it a maple bacon bourbon. ;)

Usually I'm all for "it's better with bacon," however, a bacon beer does not fit. Maybe someone will prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Usually I'm all for "it's better with bacon," however, a bacon beer does not fit. Maybe someone will prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Rogue-Voodoo-Doughnut-Bacon-Maple-Ale.jpg

It's all about perception. I know that most people taste the smoke in bacon and automatically perceive smokey things as bacon-like. For example:

31gXwWMxo7L.jpg

usually "its better with bacon". i had rogue's bacon maple ale and it wasnt that great.

usually "its better with bacon". i had rogue's bacon maple beer and it wasnt that great.

I just had a beer in lewiston Idaho that tasted like bacon. It was crazy. Started with a smoke flavor but ended like you were chewing on a piece of bacon

i split a bottle with a buddy. i got mostly maple from it with a greasy aftertaste that lingered for an hour. its not a bad novelty beer but i certainly wouldnt brew up a batch of anything like it

I agree but it would be a fun novelty beer to brew for a camping trip. Do a 2 gal batch. Something fun to do

Many Americans come back from Germany saying the rauchbeir tasted like liquid bacon. So I added half a pound of Weyermann's smoked malt to a dark lager recipe with 1.75oz carahell,3.5oz chocolate malt mashed in 1.2 gallon of water at 152F for an hour. I sparged it with 1 gallon of 170F water & into the BK with 1.5 gallons more spring water that had been heating up.
Added diff amounts of 3 DME's And haulertauer/saaz hops at 20 & 10. Cooper's Heritage lager can at flame out. The wort tasts like some meat grilled & roasty like. May have to add more rauchmalt.

Back