Group Buy in Chicago #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do we set the cutoff for this current buy?

• Close it on Monday, October 8, 2012 11:59 PM

• Close it when we reach 164 sacks?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neopol said:
Bill that's up to Randar. Forstmeister what grocery if you don't mind? I agree on it being cheap...its more a convenience thing for me.

Family fruit market I think. The wife got 4 oz for $.99 yesterday.

forstmeister said:
Family fruit market I think. The wife got 4 oz for $.99 yesterday.

Essentially the same price then, what's city grocery tax 8.75%.

If I could find it here in Indiana its 0%

Neopol said:
Essentially the same price then, what's city grocery tax 8.75%.

I know it's essentially the same. I think groceries are taxed much lower but at least I know where to find it in a pinch at a good price

forstmeister said:
I know it's essentially the same. I think groceries are taxed much lower but at least I know where to find it in a pinch at a good price

Yes and much appreciated, thank you.

I thought you meant the pricing was a hose job

bmason1623 said:
IMPORTANT

From the distributor:

"Good morning Bill,

We have received your quote request and will get that to you as soon as it is processed. The New Zealand an Australian Hops, US Northern Brewer and US Saaz are not available for spot sale. We cannot sell Brewcraft items to homebrewers and that includes all fruit products and most spices as well as some chemicals. The Irish Moss is not available to homebrewers but the Supermoss is. It comes in a 3.5 lb ($40) or a 7.5 lb package ($83). Would you like to substitute? We do offer the Coriander, Sweet Orange Peel and Bitter Orange Peel from San Francisco Herb. Would you like to substitute?

Thanks and have a great day,
Mary"

I say we let the distributor make the substitution for us. What about the hops? Do we just drop them or substitute. Myself, I don't care to substitute so I'm leaning towards dropping them without substituting. Let's try to wrap this up by this afternoon, say 1 pm?

I would not like to substitute my Irish moss for super moss. What a bummer on the news of the hops. I hope someone finds someone who will help us out with good deals on good hops

Neopol said:
Yes and much appreciated, thank you.

I thought you meant the pricing was a hose job

No hose job. $.25 an oz is good no matter where it's from. I just wouldn't want to buy a pound of coriander ever. I used an oz in a wit this summer and it was strong. I hate wits and ended up dumping half a keg when it didn't go at the annual BBQ

Randar I had sweet orange and coriander, I'll happily split it with you, but at that price maybe bill can bump the qty if you ask him nicely.

How many of each should we add to the order? And who is getting it?

Bill that's up to Randar. Forstmeister what grocery if you don't mind? I agree on it being cheap...its more a convenience thing for me.

I was just interested in splitting the sweet and bitter orange peel. I would take half a pound of each, but could probably take a pound of bitter orange peel just to facilitate the buy if needed.

I don't need coriander. I grow my own and have more than I could use.

forstmeister said:
No hose job. $.25 an oz is good no matter where it's from. I just wouldn't want to buy a pound of coriander ever. I used an oz in a wit this summer and it was strong. I hate wits and ended up dumping half a keg when it didn't go at the annual BBQ

That sucks, alcohol abuse!

Neopol said:
That sucks, alcohol abuse!

I know but I am never short on beer. I have friends who brew professionally and my cousin manages one of the bigger distros in town. Home brewing keeps me floating normally but friends and family keep me in excess at times

I love my mail lady ( giggle yes its an oxymoron), not only is she cute as hell, she just delivered 6 lbs of leaf Amarillo's and Simcoe...

mail lady. not to be confused with the transgender male lady. just commenting...

I know but I am never short on beer. I have friends who brew professionally and my cousin manages one of the bigger distros in town. Home brewing keeps me floating normally but friends and family keep me in excess at times

Doesn't matter... keep that in reserve... drink some good beer... then when you are drunk drink the crap beer to keep you going.

WINNING!

wegz15 said:
Doesn't matter... keep that in reserve... drink some good beer... then when you are drunk drink the crap beer to keep you going.

WINNING!

Its kind of like when you go to a cheap ass friends house and have to gag down a Busch or bud light

Neopol said:
Its kind of like when you go to a cheap ass friends house and have to gag down a Busch or bud light

Or when you go to a party where everyone brings their own. Inevitably, there's always one guy who brings bud light but drinks everyone else's good beer.

bmason1623 said:
Or when you go to a party where everyone brings their own. Inevitably, there's always one guy who brings bud light but drinks everyone else's good beer.

Ya I hate "that" guy! Because then the bud light just sits there and anyone else that sees it thinks "I didn't know this was a bud light kind of party" which kills the whole vibe!

bmason1623, I'll be out of town starting the 18th-22nd. Could you update the first post with your paypal info before then? Thanks

bmason1623, I'll be out of town starting the 18th-22nd. Could you update the first post with your paypal info before then? Thanks

I will email everyone with my paypal info when the time comes to start paying. The amount owed will be on the spreadsheet, not the database.

Folks there is a lot of behind the scenes activity on the hops supply side of the buy. Bill and I have both gotten some responses, some pricing, good but not great. Aside from the saaz, NS, PJade, cascade, magnum, northern brewer what other bulk hops are folks.interested in.. I received some decent pricing on 11 and 13 lb mini bales of a few varieties....please give us some feedback to some other varieties.

Folks there is a lot of behind the scenes activity on the hops supply side of the buy. Bill and I have both gotten some responses, some pricing, good but not great. Aside from the saaz, NS, PJade, cascade, magnum, northern brewer what other bulk hops are folks.interested in.. I received some decent pricing on 11 and 13 lb mini bales of a few varieties....please give us some feedback to some other varieties.

Let's try to get a list completed so that we can get back to the hops supplier with an answer on Monday. If anyone wants to keep a running tab on a google spreadsheet please feel free. Prices for T90 pellets are not too bad at all; slightly more than Country Malt. However, this one particular supplier mainly offers American varieties since they represent only American farms. They are out of Cascade and Chinook.

Amarillo for sure if it can be had.

Here's what available:

Centennial
Columbia
Golding
Fuggle
Horizon
Mt. Hood
Liberty
Crystal
Ultra
Santiam
Sterling
Nugget
Perle
US Tettnanger
Willamette

Simcoe and Amarillo. I'd also be interested in non-American varieties like Styrian Goldings, and anything English, especially EKG. I'd take a lb of each, depending on prices.

But it would also depend on when we expected them to arrive and the pick up point, because I'm have to persuade a friend to drive me or get the CTA.

Sorry I cross posted with bmason1623.

From that list, I would be interested in Centennial and Sterling. Maybe a few others, I'm not familiar with them all.

I'd do up to 4 lb of centennial to make a deal go. Use that in my RIPA with simcoe.

Mt Hood, fuggles, and whatever someone else wants I'll do a lb or 2.

bmason1623 said:
Here's what available:

Centennial
Columbia
Golding
Fuggle
Horizon
Mt. Hood
Liberty
Crystal
Ultra
Santiam
Sterling
Nugget
Perle
US Tettnanger
Willamette

This list is from June so it may not be up to date.

Pellets are good but man does a counter full of fresh leaf make me giddy.

ForumRunner_20121012_205035.jpg

Here's what available:

Centennial
Columbia
Golding
Fuggle
Horizon
Mt. Hood
Liberty
Crystal
Ultra
Santiam
Sterling
Nugget
Perle
US Tettnanger
Willamette

Given that list, I think we'd be best off trying to time a group buy with the arrival of the 2012 harvest coming to market. That would give us the best shot in terms of interest and getting a decent price on hops that sell at a per-ounce premium.

As a hold-me-over FYI, I was able to get NS, Galaxy, and Simcoe from Farmhouse Supply this week while most everywhere else is out.

starman said:
Pellets are good but man does a counter full of fresh leaf make me giddy.

Yes, my kitchen and house for that matter smells like Amarillo hops...sorry little hop friends about the freezing home for which I had to place you.
I prefer leaf, easier to clean up in my kettle (yes hopstoppers do get clogged), less sediment and particulates in my beer, and the rogue seed from time to time.

Matt, I'll send you some notes on how I pseudo winter the seeds prior to starting germination.

OK this one vendors response to availability and pricing to our original order. It looks like more of retail pricing and I am certain we can get some more competitive pricing in the qty with some persistence.
I was told these are in stock, and pricing is based on our 11 lb ea. qty.

This is just for discussion, please no panicking, no orders or fulfillment.

Saaz 10.99/lb
Pacific Jade 17.50/lb
Cascade 10.49/lb
Northern Brewer 10.99/lb
Magnum 12.00/lb
5-lb of Nelson 20.99/lb
Mini bales of EKG, Mt.Hood, Chinook, Fuggle
All 13 lb except EKG 11lb
Fuggle 11.00/lb,
EKG 11.50/lb,
Mt. Hood 8.50/lb
Chinook 9.00/lb.